Mapping the disciplined ranks of anti-vax Twitter

That’s like exactly what a Stand Alone Complex is (the first point). Essentially the simplest definition for it is, the presence of copycats in the absence of a solidly describable or authentic original progenitor.

2 Likes

Aye, I’m a big fan of GITS:SAC but Zizek’s point is that there doesn’t even need to be a functional complex with which people are furnishing belief. Everyone can get along assuming belief through the others, or even explicitly with the knowledge that no-one really believes.

A Stand Alone Complex can come into existence without such a system of belief, or without the intention of anyone who does believe but as it currently functions in today’s society, the complex can function without any belief whatsoever or can even be non existent completely, leaving only a function of belief in belief by the other.

To my understanding, once the SAC had been brought into existence, the belief of it’s adherents maintains it’s existence, even though none of them (and indeed no-one) helped create the complex through any kind of belief. My addition to your point is that such a complex does not even require belief, adherents, or to exist at all. Just the assumption that ‘belief’ functions, even with the knowledge that no such belief exists.

2 Likes

Okay, now I’m positive you’ve read Simulacra and Simulation. And I’m really digging that philosophical riff.

I’m too tired to be outraged about the anti-vaxxers. I’ve been picking internet fights the last several weeks and I’m pretty much spent. But I’d love to talk philosophy for a spell, while my blood comes to a boil.

1 Like

You’ll never look at children again without thinking about the creepiness of dolls.

I actually did start to read it, skimmed through if I remember, back in… holy shit 2005! Ten. Fucking. Years. What happened!!!

Haven’t really read any terribly deep philosophy for a while, I like listening to Zizek’s clownery as a performance and will go and look up references he makes, getting into his interpretation of Hegel is interesting… I picked up Nietzsche again recently and pottered through some Foucault, Derrida and especially Lacan (by way of Jung et al) but I think once you get the spirit of philosophy in you, what boils down to understanding how to ask a question properly, the actual advancements of scientific thought always seem more interesting.

But, yeah, grokking the proper place of philosophy is what’s most important, it may not be able to function as a science for answering questions but it sure as shit will hone your ability to understand how to ask questions and gives you a logical leg up on being able to understand when questions being asked need to be unasked.

1 Like

I’ve been spending so much time focusing on trying to hone my rhetoric (which I originally did learn the skill set in philosophy class) that I just now have come to realize that rhetoric is supposed to serve a purpose besides picking and winning fights. So I’m thinking it’s about time I crack my books again and get back into logic and philosophy, so I can at least focus on something besides verbal and literary pugilism.

I’ve been listening a lot to the Rationally Speaking podcast, hosted by Massimo Pigliucci (resident “theoretical” philosopher) and Julia Galef who acts as the synthesist for the podcast (and sadly left the podcast recently for other projects). They’ve had some very interesting topics, viewpoints and guests, and Massimo has been developing his own philosophical school of thought for many years based on what he calls the Eudaemonic Life.

I’ve gotta dive in and stop restricting my media consumption so much. Over the last year I’ve noticed I’ve gotten so picky and loathe to take risks with the media I consume that I have just a few go-to options now, and that’s no good for my psychology, or my humanity. When my only news comes from here, the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, NPR, and the various atheist activist’s podcasts, I’m really warping my perspective and my point of view becomes so dim monochromatic. Not interacting with people (the night shift takes no prisoners) and not poking my head out of my insular little comfort bubble is partaking in the same poor-quality-thinking I tear into other people for doing.

1 Like

This explains why I hear chilling, dissonant Japanese choral music everytime I open Twitter…

2 Likes

I find it good to read the WSJ online once-in-a-while.

1 Like

Something something “the night bird cries out to heaven” something something *Talking drums*

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.