March for Life rally-goers don't know what the word "adoption" means

Seems to be a real issue today with people focusing on comforting with bigots rather than pointing out how some of us are literally LOSING OUR CIVIL RIGHTS!!!

28 Likes

I’ma say it one more time;

Nobody wants to end up living on Fury Road. If we do end up there, and I’m one of the survivors, I WILL remember who paved the way…

26 Likes

Is it though? Let’s say a few (or even one of the rallygoers) had said, yes, they’d adopted a child. Would that mean it was sensible that abortion should be prohibited? If Im an advocate of, say, solar energy, I better have solar panels or I’m a hypocrite and solar energy is not a just cause? This is a fun video. But it’s a zero-calorie “gotcha” video.

SCOTUS shill Amy Coney Barrett has two adopted children (seven total). And she literally gets to decide whether abortion is legal or not. So, because she “walks the walk”, it will be cool when she rules abortion illegal?

7 Likes

Thankfully with a little change in syntax you can restore our rights!!

14 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

No it’s not. And no one said that. It does matter that we point out the hypocrisy of people seeking to LITEARLLY TAKE AWAY THE RIGHTS OF WOMEN to control their own bodies, while doing exactly nothing to help the people who end up hurt by this (the women and the many children who end up in abusive situations because their biological mothers had no ability to make a choice that might have been better for everyone).

This fucking matters, their hypocrisy.

26 Likes

This seems like an apt time to remind people that the state of Tennessee (and it’s probably not the only one) uses taxpayer money to fund adoption agencies that will only place children in “Christian” homes.

I say that if they’ll only allow adoption by couples who share their beliefs they should only get money from people who share their beliefs (which, admittedly, would still leave them pretty well off).

15 Likes

/checks Webster’s - Adoption Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
adop·​tion | \ ə-ˈdäp-shən
Definition of adoption
: the act of adopting : the state of being adopted

/checks language.com - Adoption - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms | Vocabulary.com
Adoption is the act of taking something on as your own. Adoption usually refers to the legal process of becoming a non-biological parent, but it also refers to the act of embracing ideas, habits, or free kittens.
noun
a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)

/checks OED - fuck! Paywalled!

Fuck, he’s right! @Carla_Sinclair can you update the headline to add “and neither does @garnere” so it will no longer be incorrect?

8 Likes

Of course the religious use terms among themselves such as Shepherd and Sheep in reference to religious clergy and congregation. These people honestly believe that they are doing God’s work by following power and wealth worshiping religious charlatans. By the time the American Taliban actually gains full access to the levers of power, it will be too late to remove them.

Either people believe in women’s rights or they don’t. If they don’t, they are not going to be persuaded by just the right word.

Then why post anything at all, ever. IF you are going to post something why give someone a reason to instantly dismiss it out of hand?

There is supporting human rights and there is wringing your hands over language. If people not saying things the “right” way causes one to NOT support human rights, then they did not support those rights in the first place. How fragile are people that they can’t stand the slightest “wrong” word and it causes them to throw their support behind various forms of fascism?

20 Likes

Why post anything at all if you are clearly in the wrong about the very thing you are complaining about? Their signs are directed at the pregnant woman who might consider abortion. Those women CANNOT choose ADOPTION. Adoption is, as rightly pointed out something that ANOTHER individual or family can choose.

What their sign SHOULD say is “Choose going through with your pregnancy and give the baby up to a fate unknown”.

God! Words have meaning and Adoption is not the act of giving your fucking baby up! Shit!

21 Likes

BTW, men who care about privacy rights, but not whether or not women have full civil rights, SC decisions like Roe and Griswold were decided on the right to privacy, not just a right to abortion or birth control. If our rights are gutted, then you can expect no right to privacy either.

All of our rights are tightly entwined together, and if they can take them away from women, the LGBQT+ community, POC, immigrants, etc, they WILL get around to coming for YOURS too. So keep that shit in mind. They will not stop with us. they will come for all of us. You assume this is a niche issue that doesn’t have any ramifications for you at YOUR peril, too.

25 Likes

That’s right: the correct term for the pregnant person is ‘reliquishment’.

But also, studies have shown that there are two separate stages in the decision-making process. First, the pregnant person figures out whether or not they are going to carry the fetus to term (willingly or unwillingly). Then, after the baby is born, the decision is made whether to relinquish or keep the baby. They’re two entirely different stages of the process.

22 Likes

And it’s not an easy decision to make, and it’s even worse when it ends up being coerced.

People (especially anti-woman, forced birth activists) acting like adoption is all positives all the time are fucking lying.

But again, these are not people who have the best interests of women or the children they are forced to give birth to, at heart. They care about punishing women and keeping a permanent underclass to cheaply clean their homes. Women like this do not give two shits about babies or women. They can fuck right off.

But oops, I’m being too mean. I’m sure if I talk to them politely, they’ll finally see other women as human beings and not incubators with legs. /s

23 Likes

So they should be picketing clinics with signs that say “Carry Your Fetus to Term” and picketing hospitals with signs that say “Choose Relinquishment”

ETA: See, when you use words in harmony with their actual meaning you communicate your actual meaning much more clearly

8 Likes

That jumped out at me too! WTH?
I have friends and colleagues who’ve adopted and they would never use terminology like that about children they grew in their own bodies in contrast to those they’d adopted.

Exactly. It’s not as simple as “choose to be a parent or choose adoption (oops, I mean relinquishment),” either. Some women have tragic situations where the child will not live, but these monsters would force those women to bring that child to term, only to suffer a brief life of pain then pass on. And for the women, months of being approached by strangers asking about the pregnancy, both before and after delivery. I just…I can’t even imagine the trauma of all of that.

22 Likes

But they won’t because they understand that using false, but emotionally loaded terms, will cover up their real goals.

Yep. And it speaks volumes about the people who do use that language.

Yep. Because they do not care about women. And lets not forget that this kind of situation can kill women.

21 Likes

lol I was editing the ETA on to my post when you wrote this. Right there with you!

16 Likes

I Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
:laughing:

14 Likes

The whole point of choosing one’s words wisely is that they’re leaning into the emotional power of saying things like “choose” and “life” and “adoption”. These words give warm fuzzy feelings that make them think they’re good people.

They very specifically do not want to use the most technically accurate words, at all. That defeats their purpose.

22 Likes