Marco Arment, co-founder of Tumblr, on the new MacBook: "I’m returning this."

It’s like Apple’s goal these days is to prove Wallis Simpson wrong – apparently you can be too rich and too thin.

1 Like

I learned something about the force touch trackpad, that will make me really want to get some hands on with it before buying a new laptop.

Apologies on that one!

As it happens my attention to detail (aided by my skill for in depth research) actually enabled me (a total technophobe) to resolve an issue which five members of Apple Store staff (some senior) could not resolve.

It only took me three days–which I would have liked to spend differently. As my research revealed I was far from alone struggling to ensure my email account would work reliably on yosemite… it would have been nice to get a sense that Apple staff’s main motivation is to sort out issue (help recognise and rectify problems in their design–in this case software design) rather than to prove the unquestioned superiority of their product abdicating all responsibility.

Finally the point I was trying to make is:

That a company which built its reputation on good design as postulated by their Guru Dieter Rams is loosing / has lost its way

https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/about/good-design

I read Marco’s rant about the new MacBook and was a bit bewildered by the intensity of his hate for it. Maybe he was having a bad day. I too bought one of the 12" MacBooks when they first came out. For me, it wasn’t an impulse buy. I had read about the machine and knew it’s limitations. The thing that has been a pleasant surprise for me, is that the more I use this MacBook, the more I love it. This computer has changed the way I do work by giving me more freedom to be productive anywhere, in the same way my first smartphone’a functionality liberated me from my desktop computer. I’m using it with my iPad air and Duet display, and that is such a slick setup for programming, web development & graphic design. How else can you carry around a computer with 2 high res retina displays for around 3lbs? Yes, it’s and expensive computer and the lack of ports is probably my biggest beef with the new Macbook, but I can guarantee that this computer will pay for itself much quicker than any other that I have purchased in the past.

1 Like

What’s there to expect of a device with the esthetics of a cheap, gold-brow eloxed LED pocket lamp.
Apple have gained the power to sell any sort of crap and as of now, this is what they do.

1 Like

Are. You. Words there are none. Seriously? They took a ‘retina’ LCD and then gave you an actual working area, in pixel terms, inferior to the utterly unacceptable ‘HD’ 1366x768 cheap best buy shelf stuffer crap?

An actual working area lower than the cheap-n’-dreadful office drone LCDs of ~2003?

That’s depraved.

I implied as much in my post above. And people are calling you a co-founder of a company that sold for a billion dollars, but… even though you were there in the beginning, somehow, you weren’t. You’d probably be a little grumpy too :wink:

That’s one way of looking at it. It will be sharper, and it won’t need antialising, and it can display 1080p videos with room to spare, and the colors will probably be much more accurate, but in terms of fitting windows, characters, spreadsheet cells, etc, it’s somewhat of a downgrade.

Every retina mac I’ve seen has a recommended “best for retina” (read: large print) resolution and a couple of higher ones that aren’t particularly touted by Apple, because performance can be less snappy (since the graphic card has to render everything with up to four times more pixels than the nominal resolution and then downscale in realtime) and things might get a bit small depending on how good your eyesight is. On my 15" I prefer to use the highest resolution for work like video editing and the larger-text ones for light browsing.

The macbook’s spec page says the supported scaled resolutions are:

1440 by 900
1280 by 800
1024 by 640

For a bit of perspective, 1440x900 was a common resolution for 17" laptops not too long ago.

Oh, and if you’re a fan of really tiny text there’s nothing stopping you from using a bunch of simple free apps to unlock the full 2304x1440 pixels.

1 Like

I guess the issue is that Arment was uncomfortable with the mac’s default resolution (which is cramped for certain use cases, adequate for others, and, one would hope, ideal for some). He changed the resolution, and found that it was blurry (which, of course, canceled out the effect of the “retina” display.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.