Maria Butina to plead guilty to conspiracy, accused Russian agent flips to help investigations

As is the proper thing to do.

6 Likes

The memes have begun …

7 Likes

Eh. I expect Cohen-level “cooperation”. Tell all about what they already know and shut your trap about anything else unless you take your coffee with polonium.

Whoa! That is one tough broad. You get the impression that, left alone in a room with Kareem Hunt for five minutes, she would make sure his NFL career was definitely over. You don’t turn a woman like that, especially a Russian woman, easily. There must be some serious s*&t going down.

Would it even count as “spilling secrets” at this point though? We’re at the part of the story where the bad guy already won and there’s nothing left to do but deliver a cackling monologue to rub the would-be hero’s face in it.

4 Likes

Gotta wonder if she is bargaining to not go back.

7 Likes

The Palmer Report says that Butina’s Russian handler has disappeared …

6 Likes

I just now posted that the Palmer Report is saying that her handler, Torshin, has disappeared. Things that make you go “Hmmm…”

4 Likes

I was under the impression it was no longer being alleged she actually used literal sex for influence, and that texts had been “misinterpreted?” If that is official, I find it odd that Xeni would be “slut-shaming” her, for perhaps simply using sex appeal, versus the “I hope the sex was good” angle?

This spells doom for Trump and the NRA. Paul Erickson, hope the sex was fantastic” isn’t slut-shaming HER for using sex to accomplish her mission, it’s shaming HIM for being dumb enough to sell out his country and doom his organization just to get laid.

14 Likes

3 Likes

cat%20cat

15 Likes

Of course she is cooperating. She has been held in solitary confinement for months.

1 Like

I woul expect she was told to do this. The point is not that Putin cares about these NRA yahoos. They were a useful vector to spread chaos, and their trials for this will spread more chaos and distrust of the political process.

Regardless of its truth, playing up the narrative that they played us like this gives them power, and hurts our standing.

2 Likes

I guess there are only three options. Lock the little fish and let the big fish go unpunished. Offer the little fish a carrot. Threaten the little fish with a stick. The big fish would favour option one. “Enhanced Interrogation” has proven sketchy at best when it comes to collecting actionable intelligence, so option three is unreliable. That just leave option two. After all, there is no point in catching little fish.

There is a fourth option, I suppose, catch a member of the Trump organisation in criminal activity, declare the entire organisation a criminal enterprise, and then arrest Trump under RICO. Of course, he would probably claim to have divested himself of his interests, as per the Emoluments Clause and instead throw one of his relatives under the bus.

I kind of agree, that Putin has already succeeded far beyond his original intentions. The view from within the EU is that the USA has already lost almost all of its influence, and the Ukraine should not expect any help from the Americans. Even if Trump were to leave today and a competent Democratic wave would take both the presidency and the majority in the Senate in 2020, the damage done these past two years just goes too deep for America to be the thorn in Putin’s side that it once was.

I think this agent can retire, having performed beyond expectations.

10 Likes

You think they’ll send her off to Siberia? To the salt mines or the death camps? Should she have used the cyanide capsule in her hollow tooth? Should she stay in solitary for the rest of her life to avoid KGB assassins?

Russia has changed a bit since the fifties. She did what she was supposed to do. Even her plea adds to the general chaos. I expect in Russia she seems like an innocent that has been caught in the coils of US politics, and has been made a scapegoat for the actions of others. I think, once out of the USA, she will be fine.

2 Likes

She might even end up with some sort of minor diplomatic position that will allow the Russians to sneak her in to photo-ops for years to come.

1 Like

Once deported, she would probably be banned from re-entering the US. If she had diplomatic status, the US could still keep her out by declaring her persona non grata.

1 Like

I read to the bottom of the article, and thought, “The first comment will be popcorn.” Top two!

4 Likes