Married couple arrested for planting "bait bikes" then beating thieves with baseball bats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/10/married-couple-arrested-for-pl.html

5 Likes

@frauenfelder or @orenwolf the linked video is something about Biden.

Also just cause you are beating up bike thieves does not make you the good guy. Just a different kind of pissweasel.

35 Likes

I can’t fix this one. Mark, fix you video! :smiley:

19 Likes

Man, Biden is involved with beating criminals with a baseball bat? Man, that guy will do ANYTHING to not look like a weenie.

(yeah, fix the video!)

21 Likes

Wasnt this the plot of a Charles Bronson movie? He walks around with a fancy camera to entice thieves, just so he could shoot them?

13 Likes

If I’m reading the pullquote right, the neighbor’s expressed issue with the situation is that the couple is bringing “undesirables” into the neighborhood? Not the…insane vigilante justice?

31 Likes

There was also the noise aspect. People are trying to sleep.

28 Likes

Don’t mess with Joe’s Firebird.

21 Likes

Send in a bait thief wearing one of those anti-bear suits.

51NAHZHQVYL

10 Likes

Sounds like it wasn’t about “justice”, it was about creating content for a youbube channel.

27 Likes

Sounds like those middle-aged white-guy wankfests, his “Death Wish” movies. I wouldn’t be surprised if they inspired Bernhard Goetz.

(Funny, he looks like an older James Franco there.)

14 Likes
8 Likes

The only entrapment scheme I can endorse fully is “accidentally” leaving a huge gift-wrapped package on the car trunk, filled with garbage.

5 Likes

Yup. While I wouldn’t want to discourage people from reporting serious violent assaults such as these, the neighbor seems somewhat culpable for waiting to report her neighbors until their nuisance value, not the violent crimes themselves, bothered her.

Then again, perhaps she was afraid of her Punisher-wannabe neighbors. Either way, may the predatory YouTubers enjoy a nice long prison sentence where they won’t need to worry about bike thieves.

And since they were thoughtful enough to upload concrete evidence of their crimes to YouTube, hopefully the prosecutor’s office will be smart enough not to offer any kind of deal to either of them, since the creeps are likely clamoring to flip on each other. Alas, they’re white, straight and probably not poor. Here’s hoping they don’t get off with a light sentence.

18 Likes

Kind of like the pranksters that filled boxes with exploding glitter and waited for porch pirates to steal them. I think someone put a remote camera in one to record what happened.

3 Likes

Not to condone violence but as someone who has had more bikes stolen in my life than I can count, I am somewhat OK with this…

5 Likes

The example I’ve seen of the exploding-glitter genre turned out to be a hoax. The porch pirates were actors.

7 Likes

I’m not, and I HATE bike thieves.

22 Likes

Bike thieves are the worst! But even they don’t deserve to be entrapped and then beaten. Hell, I don’t support even the cops doing bait bike stings in most cases. (Usually, they leave a bike unlocked and unattended and wait for someone to succumb to temptation. They aren’t catching serial bike thieves, just regular folks with poor impulse control.)

6 Likes

I’ve had two bikes stolen at a period in my life where the loss of said bikes really and severely impacted me and my ability to make a living and get around. I would still not condone this kind of violence, it wouldn’t take much to kill someone with bats even.

17 Likes