Watch: Man on bike attacks a group of activists, including a young girl

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/watch-man-on-bike-assaults-a.html

6 Likes

10 to 1 he’s a cop.

38 Likes

The bike community is large but small. Which is to say there are many thousands and everyone knows each other. Especially everyone who wears a kit. So it should be days not weeks.

Edit: hiding info that was inaccurate, but still owning to having done it. At least one cop was wrongly accused in social media so I stand guilty in some small way of fanning that flame. And this is not to doxx the actual assaulter, but I’ll add that the perpetrator has been caught, has been fired and has apologized.. So, half hearted apology - I don’t really apologize for bringing up the chock-full-of-bad-apples Baltimore PD.

Summary

I agree mostly because Baltimore.

19 Likes

Mirrored sunglasses, belligerent attitude. . .

Why only 10 to 1 odds?

23 Likes

There is an interesting story with this. A twitter detective used Strava to find cyclists who were in the area at the time of the attack. Unfortunately he had the time wrong and accused someone who doesn’t seem like they were the guy. The person that got accused was of course digitally lynched. Even after it was made clear that he wasn’t the guy there was a lot of harassing happening almost all by throwaway accounts. It sucks to think that you could get digitally lynched just because you happened to ride your bike in the same area where something bad happened.

10 Likes

Because not all douches with mirrored sunglasses are cops…some are just entitled fucks who think they can get away with cop-modeled behavior.

ETA: quote

11 Likes

I think I see the problem here…

I do truly sympathize with the person wrongly accused, and I hope the real culprit is quickly brought to justice so the twitter detective’s victim can resume their life.

But I want to stay focused on the main story, of a man committing assault on a child exercising their first amendment rights.

21 Likes

FTFY…grown ass man (I use the term VERY lightly) grapples with a young girl for a roll of tape.

ETA: if he DOES prove to be a cop, then you can remove the strike-through as a factor in removing anything resembling qualified immunity or to add federal charges. (no ‘color of law’ though so less likely to Fed(??)…IANAL)

8 Likes

I completely agree. It is shocking that someone would continue that behavior knowing they are being recorded. I guess not quite as shocking as actually murdering someone but I hope they find the real culprit and he actually gets some punishment.

4 Likes

This is why we don’t dox, even if it means fighting every impulse to do it.

36 Likes

“Racist asshole on bike”, but yeah.

15 Likes

Baltimore Sun article not available in Europe. USian parochialism strikes again.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

They cannot be ‘engaged’, nor ‘committed’ if they have not figured out what many others have long ago. They cannot ‘continue’ anything they clearly have not started. They won’t win any awards for reach, technical agility, or giving a shit about any non-US audience. But why should they?

Anyone got any more background to this violent fuckwittery? Has he been identified yet?

9 Likes

I am $THIS many years old today (literally, it’s my Bday)…and this is the first time I noted that “I am not a lawyer” is " I Anal ". Maybe I’m Benjamin Button’ing and my mind just turned 12?

14 Likes

Baltimore paper but Bethesda.

Pretty sure I recognize the place. It’s somewhere on the capital crescent trail.

10 Likes

Does this link work: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/victim-posting-racial-injustice-flyers-assaulted-by-cyclist-on-capital-crescent-trail/2322251/ ?
So far I haven’t found any information saying the got the actual culprit.

6 Likes

I agree.
My reasoning is that he used his bike as a weapon and shield. Same manoeuvre I’ve recently seen on videos of bike-police vs protesters. (though I’m no expert, and not a cyclist so I can’t say if using a bike as a weapon vs people is standard or not)

8 Likes

In Maryland, but just outside DC. So not Baltimore, that’s just the paper of record in the link being provided.

10 Likes

Article is typical fluff. 90% is describing what is seen in the video; the remainder is mostly giving location information and filler (where it happened, why they were putting up flyers, update police if you have any info, etc).

8 Likes

They want to buy him a beer?

17 Likes

Do you have a link? I’m trying to persuade someone to take the mis-identified guy’s name out of a post.

4 Likes