Martha's Vineyard is running out of weed

that’s probably a convo for the dms but for now, given the roles i’m applying for drug test and my state treats mmj the way doctors gave ppl a liquor script in the 20s, even if i had renewed my card (expensive, like the products here) i’d have had zero protection in the way someone can show they have a script for benzos.

(i could probably get a benzo script if i wanted, but having a single pounder after work once in a while hits the same GABA receptors with less copays and overhead.)

2 Likes

Drones and airspace are regulated by the FAA so this would also be a problem with Federal jurisdiction.

Yes, there are legal shops on the mainland, but then bringing it across the water to MV incurs the same federal legal issue. Seems like this is quite a conundrum, and they only way to avoid the federal problem is to grow it on the island.

4 Likes

In California, the weed and all related products that are legally produced are strictly tested for contaminants. I worked at a cannabis company and saw this first hand.

6 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve visited; but I would risk the Feds hanging out in the ferry myself.

Certainly better than my state - where it’s still illegal.

6 Likes

Easy for individuals to do, who are bringing an 8th or a couple prerolls for a weekend. Not easy for a dispensary that needs to bring over pounds on regular schedule to serve a customer base. This is not really very hard to understand, is it?

Assuming that the stated reason for the closure(high costs related to off-island) is accurate it would appear that someone is successfully rolling the dice on the regulatory arbitrage involve in moving product across a strip of federal jurisdiction.

It would be interesting to know what the breakdown is between specialized professional smuggling of large quantities and more ad-hoc movement of quantities just slightly on the high side of what is required for personal use moving with the(significant) amount of traffic from visitors, workers who live off-island, seasonal residents, and permanent residents who travel off-island.

If there regulatory barrier were actually ironclad I’d imagine that the local grow-op would not be under financial pressure: sure, real estate prices are not helpful; but there are few crops that have seen more research into ultra-intensive high density cultivation and there’s a lot of money sloshing around among potential customers.

1 Like

What lead you to believe that I wasn’t referring to individuals?

6 Likes

You have to use a series of interconnected tubes.

The biggest problem is if the laws changed in either direction, the system would be instantly obsolete.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Eh, one of these would do.

And if it is under the ocean, is it no longer Federal jurisdiction? Do states have the equivalent of diplomatic bags?

2 Likes

Cute typo in the article - the line is buried 1.5 metres underground, not 1.5 kilometres.

Technical paper from TRIUMF which covers the latest upgrade/line replacement. Lots of diagrams and pictures.

And there is a Tom Scott video about it, because of course there is.

Apparently MIT and Oregon State have similar systems.

6 Likes

The topic of this post is about Martha’s vineyard residents losing their access to legal weed. Tourists tend to bring their own. The issue is the dispensary. Taking a round trip ferry ride to go buy weed is extremely inconvenient. I think maybe you missed the point of the topic at hand.

Feds have jurisdiction over all coastal waters, starting at the high tide water line and extending twelve miles out.

Maybe I had a different point. I drive over a bridge into another state for similar shopping. Island life has its advantages- but you’re still on an island. And it’s The Vineyard- they have staff for that.

5 Likes

Good for you!

8 Likes

The Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission “voted 4-0 Thursday to issue an Administrative Order authorizing transport of marijuana and marijuana products over state territorial waters to and from adult-use Marijuana Establishments and Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers on the islands.”

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.