Marty Balin, co-founder of Jefferson Airplane, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/28/marty-balin-co-founder-of-jef.html

6 Likes

10 Likes

One of my all-time favs

Marty Balin “Hearts”

4 Likes

RIP, Marty. Surrealistic Pillow is one of my all-time favorite albums, and it’s because of your work. thank you so much for it.

5 Likes

I would argue that “Jefferson Airplane Takes off”, their first, beats “Surealistic Pillow” and might be their best album except I like “Volunteers”.

It’s more folkish, but maybe just because Pillow gets overplayed. It lacks Grace Slick, but the two songs she brought to the group can be heard on The Great Society live recordings. Marty wrote or co-wrote 8 of the 11 songs, the others were covers.

Both when I saw the news and when Paul Kantner died, “Come Up the Years” instantly came to mind.

Grace and Jack and Jorma are the only ones left.

Interesting that they are fading, while Ace of Cups is about to release a new album.

1 Like
2 Likes

He got punched in the face at Altamont by the Hell’s Angels.

Jefferson Airplane was such an ass kicking band. In every way.

3 Likes

I had no idea - I always thought he was a later addition.

2 Likes

Played “Come back to me” last week at a close friend final departure, not a dry eye in the house. Getting old is a killer…

3 Likes

Sad day. They were a terrific band before they crumbled into Starship. I’ve always liked After Bathing at Baxters most.

1 Like

From what I read, not sure where, Jefferson Starship is considered a successor band, essentially the same band, but different enough to necessitate a name change. Starship, on the other hand, is considered something entirely separate, despite Grace Slick’s presence (she’s disavowed Starship since). I think Starship singer Mickey Thomas (?) was in the last lineup of Jefferson Starship and when Kantner disbanded that band, he wouldn’t permit anyone to use the “Jefferson” name in any subsequent bands.

What happened to that band…

they built a city.

1 Like

I’m pretty ok with just pretending that never happened.

Of all the music in the world to wind up commercialized. I don’t get that.

You must try some of my purple berries.

4 Likes
2 Likes

From left to right: kicked out of Ratt; Ray Davies; mom driving her daughter to the school dance; assistant manager at Jeans Express in Puente Hills Mall; legendary performer of certain genre films (videos)

6 Likes

probably discussed here:

I’d heard a (relatively) unplugged version early last year, whilst on a car trip. I’m not sure this is the version I heard but I dug it.

1 Like

Not their “cool” period but I’m going to go full on American Psycho and say I loved the mid-70s stuff of his like Miracles and With Your Love and Runaway. Might have been derided as “commercial”, but still strikes me as still quite distinctive and the wistful melancholy sound of Miracles is part of the burned-in soundtrack of my childhood. R.I.P.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.