Marvel at this crowned pulley

Originally published at: Marvel at this crowned pulley | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Neat.

6 Likes

Bandsaws have used that for dog’s years as a means to keep the saw band centered on the wheels; This is a safer and more visible demonstration of the effect.

3 Likes

And the safety portion only really matters if you like easily counting to 10 with your shoes still on.

3 Likes

I use this principle in the shop in a few places. The old 1929 Little Giant power hammer was designed for flat belts, and the pulley system it uses now goes from a double-v-belt pulley to the flat pulley, relying on the flat pulley crown to keep it all aligned. On one of the belt grinders, I built up the crown on one of the drive wheels to keep the grinding belts aligned, and on the big Bader both the drive and idler tension wheel are significantly crowned.

5 Likes

Extra points for his mentioning the “Boing Effect,” whatever that is.

3 Likes

Actually super interesting, and my watching it pulled in onlookers. 10/10. Would watch again!

2 Likes

It does appear that this method depends on the belt being under tension and being elastic enough that the delta tension in the transverse direction matters. Not All Belt Types yada yada

This works for steel bandsaw blades, so I’m not sure how much the elasticity of the band material matters. Though I usually see the wheels in that case covered in or edged with rubbery materials. I guess it makes sense the relationship would be reciprocal, with hard wheel / rubber band having the same properties as rubber wheel / hard band.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.