Marvel at this incredibly inefficient puddle-shoveling

Actually, I’d title this “Genius worker makes viral video on Internet during his smoke break with just a shovel and a cell phone.”

5 Likes

Oh, this is just that thing that happens when there’s not enough work for everyone on shift for a time, but the supervisor hasn’t caught on to the fact yet…you just look busy. It happened to me a few times while working at a printing plant.

Sometimes it gets silly, which is usually when the people directing things catch on and find something for people to do.

This kind of thing is extremely common in China, where there are often seven people doing one person’s job. Some of this is about state owned enterprises, but local governments often have some power over the number of employees a big company must hire as a condition of permitting, As a result it’s sometimes difficult to get through the aisle at the local supermarket as it’s clogged with chatting shop assistants, many of them are gently rearranging goods or otherwise looking busy.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s pretty loud with the shop-vac on!

Whaa!? Wha’d ya say? Please speak up!

:wink:

1 Like

That’s how you get your union card.

Apocryphal, usually attributed to Milton Friedman:

The economist was in China in the 1970s and visiting a worksite where a massive excavation was underway for a new apartment block.

He was shocked to see that instead of tractors and earth movers, hundreds of workers were toiling away with shovels.

He asked the foreman, “Why are there so few machines?”

The foreman condescendingly explained, “You don’t understand. If we used machines, unemployment would be far too high."

To which Friedman replied, “Oh, I thought you were trying to build buildings. If it’s jobs you want, you should take away the shovels and give them spoons."

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.