Marvel's Jewish superhero Sabra gets a Soviet makeover

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/16/marvels-jewish-superhero-sabra-gets-a-soviet-makeover.html

2 Likes

high quality remake GIF

5 Likes

Chicanery.

3 Likes

Harry Potter Magic GIF

2 Likes

Well, that’s depressing, I knew Sabra primarily as a really good hummus, now that’s permanently tinged, like my friend’s opinion of Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the middle with you”, after seeing Reservoir Dogs…

3 Likes

The Marvel character in the comics debuted 2 years before that massacre.

6 Likes

I’d never heard that song before watching the movie. I still like it, though I do think of Mr. Blonde’s psychotic ass whenever I hear it now.

So that was just a flimsy excuse to bring up a horrible atrocity?

Color me shocked.

7 Likes

That doesn’t mean people won’t connect them anyway. I mean, the swastika predates Nazis by hundreds, if not thousands, of years, but the Nazis still made that symbol unusable.

This is rage bait, but this also was an avoidable misstep by Marvel. They do have other Jewish heroes in their vast collection of heroes. Ben Grimm of the Fantastic 4 is Jewish, and there’s a movie with him coming out soon. They even cast a notable Jewish actor to play him. Scarlet Witch, at least in the comics, was Jewish. So are Moon Knight and Kitty Pryde. And then, of course, there is Magneto. Not a hero, usually, but arguably Marvel’s most important Jewish character. They did not need to use a character who just about anyone could have predicted would have drawn controversy. And now they’re trying to avoid that controversy by changing the character, which is also problematic.

11 Likes

When they started developing the movie, there was no war in Israel. The character in the comics for the most part attempts to do the right thing despite orders from her govt. Why blame Marvel for having the character and then blame them for removing or modifying the character? This is just internet rage bait.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Not for Israelis, no. They lived utterly oblivious the violence being used to take land in the West Bank and East Jerusalem… But I guess it’s only war when it hurts certain people… /s

16 Likes

If they were going to use the character at all, they should have just kept the storyline from her first appearance — that she’s a Mossad agent who’s racist against Palestinians, and then the Hulk of all people is the one to make her realize that maybe treating all Palestinians as subhuman filth is gasp bad!

(unfortunately, that storyline would probably also piss off a large swath of Marvel moviegoers, because it wouldn’t be able to tow the inspirational centrist line in quite the right way)

11 Likes

I said it was rage bait. I was replying to your statement that the character was created before the massacre that bears the same name, in part. I was not addressing the recent conflicts.

5 Likes

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

16 Likes

https://bdsmovement.net/get-involved/what-to-boycott

1 Like

Hummus is so cheap and easy to make from scratch anyway!

Ok, stirring the tahini is a PITA (get it?)…

6 Likes

If it’s available at your local market, try Steve’s Mediterranean. I’ve been choosing that one over Sabra for years.

What a beautiful combination of bigotry and cowardice. At least blockbuster action movies will always have the option of yet another british accented villain.

2 Likes

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

1 Like

Marvel GIF

2 Likes

I suppose this is a YMMV thing, but Israel has been, IMO in a state of war pretty much from day 1. The biggest difference is how much violence has happened this week, and who, specifically, they’re at war with. Israel needs a “X days since we launched missiles at Palstine” sign. The number would not need 4 digits. It might not need three.

1 Like