Marvin Minsky, artificial intelligence pioneer, RIP

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Another luminary of humanity extinguished. The world grows dimmer for a time.

To scattered futures go your thoughts
With all the dreams their agents brought

5 Likes

MIT has denied any knowledge of why all the world’s telephones inexplicably rang at the same time shortly after Minsky’s passing.

9 Likes

Did they freeze his brain?

1 Like

I dunno, man, I’m starting to think artificial intelligence is not our friend. So far, all it’s given us is job losses and improved surveillance. Where’s my utopia?

2 Likes

What did you do to build it?

We won’t have what we won’t make ourselves. Not a good idea to wait for corporate handouts with strings attached all the way to The Cloud.

4 Likes

A lot of biologists probably don’t realize that besides his work on artificial intelligence, Minsky invented the confocal microscope, which is a major tool in many parts of biology today.

1 Like

Back in the day, when the Internet was still cool ™, I was scanning the message titles in talk.origin. And there was Marvin Minsky replying to a question, clarifying a point.

A mensch, by all appearances.

5 Likes

Aw, man. I still haven’t fixed up my semi-working* MUSE.

* well it was, once.

@popobawa4u - I’m gonna hafta road-trip this to you this spring. Which is what I said last year, didn’t I…

1 Like

I gave hearts to those with good ideas, and flags to those without.

##Mission Accomplished

7 Likes

In the world where “problems” with videogame arses get over fifty times more reactions than the post how to force a surveillance-related referendum, it’s no wonder the bottom of the handbasket is getting warm so fast.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.