Masking in Pharmacies and Risk to the Immunocompromized

So, the best response to terrorism is to “try not to upset them?” I truly think not. And dealing with this FUD nearly 3 years into this is exhausting. It makes me sad and tired.

Then I was inspired
Now I’m sad and tired
Listen, surely I’ve exceeded expectations
Tried for 3 years.
Could you ask as much
Of any other man?

13 Likes

You should consider moving.

Maybe somewhere safer. Like Philadelphia or Chicago- they’ve only had a few thousand shootings each this year.

12 Likes

People who give bullshit reasons like that are often more sympathetic to the purported terrorists than they let on.

14 Likes

I’ve recently listened to a podcast about right-wing and Libertarian extremists in Shasta County – deep in the heart of the “State of Jefferson” – trying to take over local government. The story had a happy ending (at least for the moment) because more reasonable residents decided to stand up to the fascist bullies trying to (performativly) undercut public health measures instead of giving into them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/bedrock-usa

10 Likes

abstinent GIF

10 Likes

Jesus. Walking three blocks was a hell of a lot more convenient.

13 Likes

11 Likes

Or they just think that requiring them in pharmacies and no elsewhere is entirely arbitrary.

That’s a false premise if there ever was one. People most certainly do not have to go to pharmacies. The biggest pharmacies in the country now do free delivery and have been for awhile. And you said pharmacies are the only vax options where you live, but I’m guessing you’re wrong. Please post where that is (you can be approximate of course) if you want to use that as a foundation of an argument. I’m betting, and willing to use an escrow service to make that a literal bet, that there’s a masked vax site within easy driving distance of you. Or, if you prefer, if I lose I’ll sign the petition.

Your average CVS, Walgreens, Costco or whatever strikes me as the absolutely last place an immunocrompromised person should go, whether everyone is masked or not. A much better solution would to lobby for additional outdoor, hospital or otherwise more sterile and ventillated vax sites.

The immunocompromised people I know have others pick up meds etc for them. Vaccine and or flu shots are given by nurses or aide.

It can be done.

Just wear a mask people, it’s not hard.

7 Likes

I actually do wear a mask in places like pharmacies. But I don’t see the need for this particular regulation for reasons stated.

As far as pharmaceutical delivery, there’s lots of free options including the biggies (Walgreens, CVS, Target, Rite Aid, Amazon).

https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/pharmacies-with-free-prescription-delivery.html

5 Likes

Well sure, but given that your argument hinges on the fact that covid vaccines are only available at pharmacies where you live, you’ll understand when someone who disagrees with you remains unconvinced.

It’s not just pharmacies that this applies to. It’s hospitals, physician offices, dental offices, and anywhere else that’s a healthcare environment. What this petition is asking for is to treat pharmacies as healthcare environments - which is what they are right now when it can take 5 months to get an appointment in a hospital or doctor’s office.

11 Likes

CVS has started putting health care facilities in their stores similar to mini urgent care locations, yet customers have to traverse a store full of people buying toilet paper, condoms and Advil to get to it as they are usually located in the back like milk and greeting cards in grocery stores.

A gauntlet of germs for many.

7 Likes

True! At least they can move through the 7-11 part of the store quickly, though. The real exposure risk is in the pharmacy waiting area, which should be considered just as much a healthcare environment as the waiting area for surgical procedures.

8 Likes

I’ll play.

48039 or how about 48422. Not my backyard but in my state.

You also mention delivery. My mom is 84ish, our daughter arranges for delivery for some things and she can manage other things and us kids will send her other stuff and she is still capable of driving herself places which she prefers but you’re assuming everyone is capable of figuring out deliveries or finding these magical drive thru vaccination sites.

Pharmacies on every corner is what a large portion of the elderly population count on for their medical needs and a large percentage of them are completely on their own.

Put yourself in their shoes.

7 Likes

No, the petition applies to drug stores only.

Vax sites are almost always walk-ins, and certainly don’t require 5 month lead times. Or at least those are never the only options. That’s just pure fud. But again, I’m glad to look up the state of covid vaccines where you are if you’d like.

So it’s my turn now as you work through the list of people here to tell “you’re wrong”?

Thanks, but no thanks, dude.

10 Likes

oh look, another topic where people are repeating themselves to get the last word

surely nothing has happened since yesterday to warrant additional posts

5 Likes