Mass shooter after his wife at a California biker bar was a retired cop

Even after retirement, ACAB.

4 Likes

How was the veal, any good?

3 Likes

Countless movies have us conditioned to think of a “biker bar” as a dangerous, lawless place where tough people threaten our hero. It’s a convenient way to make the mass shooter sound less a part of a systemic problem.

“Ex cop shoots up restaurant on spaghetti night” would sound much more horrifying and would maybe prompt readers to think that they might be in danger from gun proliferation themselves.

9 Likes

“Three dead in Spaghetti related incident.”

9 Likes

The USA is a country where someone might indeed kill three people in broad daylight in a family spaghetti restaurant.

11 Likes

I’m always somewhat confused by the “in broad daylight” bit. Just where or how is this supposed to make any significant difference?

9 Likes

I presume it would make aiming easier.

:woman_shrugging:t3:

8 Likes

Spaghetti western shootout?

3 Likes

Because it’s “normal” after dark after everyone has had a few drinks for there to be some gunplay.

4 Likes

Because crime normally happens at night with few people around to lessen your chances of getting caught. Criming in the middle of the busy day suggests an extreme situation.

5 Likes

criming in the middle of the day is a close second to the most popular time of criming in the middle of the night. but it depends on where

Over 24 hours, the majority of criminal activity took place in the midnight hour (six percent), followed closely behind by midday (5.8 percent) and 5 p.m. (5.8 percent).

Of the 13 metropolitan cities studied, nine saw crime occur most frequently between 4 and 7 p.m.

Sexual crimes are most likely to be carried out in the midnight-to-3 a.m period

( hey look, who knew digg still existed? )

other studies seem to say similar. most violent crime seems to be at night, while most non violent crime generally happens during the day, crimes by “youths” mostly happen between 5-7pm, and the changing the clock causes a crime spike

5 Likes

I wasn’t making some grand sociological statement. I was explaining the meaning of an idiom which the other poster apparently wasn’t familiar with.

2 Likes

/looks up. ah, makes sense. sorry for the confusion

2 Likes

Interesting that such an idea seems very outdated for the times.

When my apartment was broken into several years back, it was in the middle of a bright and sunny May afternoon.

When my flame’s car got broken into recently, it was also during daylight.

Ditto that for everyone else I know who’s had their vehicle broken into or stolen recently. (Sadly, there’s more than just a handful.)

9 Likes

Yep. And when your goal is to terrorize or punish individuals or a segment of society, as is often the case with mass shootings and domestic violence flavored rage killings…

Well in those cases there’s no reason to hide because the attention is desired.

Many mass shootings happen during business/school hours. Not a coincidence probably.

6 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t even counting all the historical terrorism, both literal and stochastic.

I was just going by my own recent lived experience.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.