Louisiana man shoots 14-year-old neighbor in head after she strays into his yard playing hide-and-seek with other kids

Originally published at: Louisiana man shoots 14-year-old neighbor in head after she strays into his yard playing hide-and-seek with other kids | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Just another Responsible Gun Owner in Real America™ defending his home.

41 Likes

There’s our well regulated militia at it again.

39 Likes

He did. Shadows of all his hates and fears.

32 Likes

Something Something, the price we pay for freedom, etc.

30 Likes

…he saw several people running from his property and opened fire.

You can’t stand your ground when somebody is running away from you; FFS.

47 Likes

Sadly, the powers that be have so far disagreed with this, through what bizarro logic I can’t say.

In November 2007, two months after Texas’ new “castle doctrine” law took effect, a 61-year-old retiree named Joe Horn called to report a pair of burglars in the home next to his.

“I’ve got a shotgun,” Horn told the dispatcher straightaway. “Do you want me to stop them?”

“Nope, don’t do that,” the dispatcher replied. “No property worth shootin’ somebody over, OK?”

[…]

“Move, you’re dead,” he told the men, then he fired three times, killing both men, and returned to the phone in his house.

[…]

Horn wasn’t arrested, nor was he indicted by a grand jury that later considered the case.

A point of particular disgust is that various reporting has stated that both men were shot in the back.

32 Likes

Clearly, we’re starting to see a pattern of older men who’ve been charged with fear and animus shooting at every shadow. Everyone lamenting the “death of the community” but we’ve really motivated people to fear their neighbors.

27 Likes

Fucking ENOUGH, already.

25 Likes

Every fucking day now, several times a day…

28 Likes

I’m sure Fox told him that he needed to fear the shadows of children who were running away. They do untold harm. And might be immigrants.

28 Likes

Or Black people, looking to rob him, of course.

Shoot everything in sight, just to be sure.

/S

19 Likes

There is messaging out there that is clearly desensitizing a segment of the US population to the killing of people.

I wonder where it’s coming from… :thinking:

23 Likes

He is GenX, so older. But it’s about men at any age. The mass shooters this week were pretty much all younger men. But the determining factor was that they were men.

30 Likes

Who had easy access to deadly weapons.

33 Likes

I thought an armed society is supposed to be a polite society.

15 Likes

“unknowingly hit her in the head”.

He was firing a gun at her. How didn’t he know it would hit someone?

Look, I get fear. I fear for my family’s safety all the time. Over the weekend, two teachers who work with my son at the school he teaches at were shot a few blocks from the school (they live in the area and actually graduated from the school they teach/taught at). One died. Now I’m worried about him getting shot at work more than I already was. I still don’t feel the need to strap up and act like I’m John Wick.

29 Likes

It seems to me we are looking at different phenomena, though. In cases like this, which we’ve seen so many of recently, it’s a man, usually older, huddling fearfully in his home clutching his gun, ready to shoot at anyone who approaches. In the case of mass shooters, they deliberately go out looking for places where there are large numbers of people to murder. They seem to be motivated more by rage than fear (although fear can lead to rage).

Nevertheless, the common elements are toxic masculinity, as you say, and, as @Melizmatic says, guns.

32 Likes

Young adult to middle age men with a history of DV still the majority of the loud and proud mass murderers but also maybe the largest single male demographic, old men and women huddling in their homes shooting themselves, their kids and their neighbors kids or people in driveways or whomever rings the door, youngest males mainly just shooting themselves. That’s the breakdown I think?

Well… thank God our deep respect for the individual rights of ourselves and others has enabled that! :smiling_face_with_tear:

13 Likes

Yep. It’s not women shooting at kiddos who dare to let their shadows touch their lawns. Or who put on military gear and shoot up malls etc.

16 Likes