Massive email leak reveals the worst bribery scandal in history

[Read the post]

6 Likes

HOORAY FOR WHISTLEBLOWERS!

If you need an attic to hide from the Bush/Obama administration, contact your local Unitarian Universalist church or conservative Jewish synagogue.

15 Likes
Companies approached by Fairfax Media and The Huffington Post about their contracts with Unaoil have emphasised they have strong anti-corruption policies...

And I have large penis. It’s really formidable, in both length and girth. You all believe me, right?

... and are committed to investigating their dealings with Unaoil.

We were shocked, shocked to find that gambling bribery is going on in here!

17 Likes

And it looks just fabulous on your bedside table!

18 Likes

like has anybody called the f’n police yet??

2 Likes

Setting up bribes in email?!

Sounds like people got so complacent about the complete lack of accountability or consequences for routine corruption that they stopped bothering to maintain even a pretense of being law-abiding.

17 Likes

And they couldn’t find HuffPo’s price?

6 Likes

Of course what is described here is on a huge scale, but there are a bunch of places where you just don’t get to do business unless you bribe people to do their jobs. Even in my experiences moving humanitarian aid to Africa by ship, They make your life hell unless you pay regularly. When the ship arrives at the outer anchorage, you pay, or the port people just won’t find any dock space for you. Once you get to the dock, there is a constant stream of government officials with their hands out, and some obscure form that they want you to fill out. If you don’t pay, they might not have any longshoremen available for you, or if they get really pissed off, they might have you move to a different dock every few hours. Which is a big deal. What it usually takes is a few cartons of cigarettes, or to just pretend that we do not notice when they just randomly steal stuff. So we kind of get into a moral debate. It might cost around 100K to operate a large grain ship for a day. A few thousand dollars in cigarettes can shorten your port stay by weeks. I guess I am able to deal with it because I am never trying to get anyone to do anything illegal or immoral, but to do stuff that they should be doing anyway. And I don’t personally get anything out of it, except possibly a reputation for efficiency. And of course we account for and document all such expenses, although there are some euphemisms used in the documentation. I would love it if anyone has a better idea for how to do business in Equatorial Africa.

27 Likes

same as it ever was. nothing will come from this.

2 Likes

sure the current company will dissolve, and a ‘new’ one will take it’s place… duh.

4 Likes

In history.

1 Like

watch out! The table is cracking under the pressure!

1 Like

Fortunately, I think we’ve found another leg to prop it up with!

1 Like

That seems very inefficient. In the West you just need to make one convenient donation to a campaign fund.

11 Likes

I am afraid that this sort of situation is precisely why such companies exist in the first place. Bribes are channeled through them in part so that actual actors in the scheme can claim plausible deniability. In “best case” if this thing gets any traction in legal system, these jolly bunch will take the fall. Conducting business in affected countries will be for couple of months marginally more difficult but soon enough big business will find another shop that will arrange the same sort of dirty schemes for them all over again. Maybe just maybe some overly ambitious mid tier schmuck in some of these big corporations will end up as collateral damage but I doubt anyone with actual power will have to face the music. The purpose of all of these layers of corporate structure is to insulate the top brass from any actual responsibility.

After all only crime that will land any of big shots in actual jail is robbing your own peers.

4 Likes

This is the reason many people seek out jobs in government service and/or become petty bureaucrats. From the traffic cop in Costa Rica who pockets $5 to let you go on your way, to the Minister of Trade in Nigeria who gets a no-interest “loan” to buy a new vacation villa, most of the world operates on some form of bribery, legal or otherwise.

2 Likes

Trying to conceive of any situation in which “you’re too cynical” would be accurate when discussing late stage capitalism :frowning:

2 Likes

I recently took my annual anti-bribery training class at work. I find it interesting that the U.K. has significantly stronger bribery legislation than America. Not that we are slack about it but the U.K. is much more aggressive about penalizing both parties (at least on paper).

1 Like

Well they have strong anti-corruption policies - that’s why they outsource that bit of business to a company that doesn’t!

4 Likes

Companies approached by Fairfax Media and The Huffington Post about their contracts with Unaoil have emphasised they have strong anti-corruption policies, and are committed to investigating their dealings with Unaoil.

4 Likes