Materials science for goths: graphene hair-dye

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/18/i-like-that-black-shit.html

2 Likes

If it’s anything like liquid graphite that stuff is going to get EVERYWHERE!

4 Likes

15 Likes

The main concern in graphene toxicity studies is whether inhaling it is ok. (Limited early data suggesting that inhaling it isn’t good). I’d wait until the black rat studies get done before trying this at home.

10 Likes

I wonder if it also dyes the scalp, that’s always a challenge with hair products.

3 Likes

“A team of material scientists from Northwestern University figured out how to make hair dye in various shades of grey,”

Without even knowing any advanced chemistry; my hair seems to have mastered this.

17 Likes
1 Like

Is graphene oxide not super flammable? I remember reading something about the manufacture of graphene being really dangerous because of the intermediate graphene oxide stage. Better go easy with the hair dryer.

1 Like

I’ll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

10 Likes

“That,” he said, “that… is really bad for the eyes.”

It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.

“It’s so… black!” said Ford Prefect. “You can hardly make out its shape… light just seems to fall into it!”

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

“Your eyes just slide off it…” said Ford in wonder.

11 Likes

When the research team is citing “less static gets in your android’s brain” on the list of potential applications, I think perhaps these folks won’t be getting this on store shelves soon.

2 Likes

Once all the safety studies are complete, I’ll still be imagining what will happen when this is a big hit and everyone starts using it, and significant amounts end up getting washed down the drain. Microplastics seemed pretty benign at first, until they were too widespread to easily cut back on.

5 Likes

The idea of putting it on all the cows is disturbing.

But if you read the list of chemicals on a ‘dye your hair this bright color’ kit its pretty obvious that safety wasn’t much of a concern.

If this stuff is as black as the paint some lab made with it though… they said objects painted in it appeared to be a totally black silhouette with no edges. Like an object-shaped-hole in the world.

1 Like

Neat. 25 years too late for me, but neat.

4 Likes

This. Many companies are very wary about letting nanoparticles into their facilities unless they’re bound into a polymer or coating. Putting a graphene dispersion right on your head, letting it dry, and possibly having it flake off over time does not seem like a great plan to me.

1 Like

I know some people who work in high end salons. Apparently fumes and prolonged skin contact with conventional hair dyes and other treatements aren’t exactly benign. Off the shelf stuff is safe enough, And I haven’t heard much about risks for people who regularly have their hair died professionally. But apparently the colorists who handle and mix the stuff day in and day out are starting to get worried. Know one who’s started to wear a mask when handling certain treatments and mixing certain dyes.

3 Likes

one word: Vantagoth

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.