Matt Bors on the dark and awful .GIF wars

Because it’s about one Lego. The rest are just extras.

1 Like

Wow. All these comments.

Looks like all the “jif” pronouncers are on a Gihad!

1 Like

I think we can all agree that Jake Gyllenhaal is somehow to blame.

4 Likes

How else would anyone pronounce “Nazi”? “Naah-zee”? I’ve never heard that.

It’s GIF as in “gift” and it’s “jay-peg”. Basta!

What Latinate word starts with c and is pronounced with y?

2 Likes

Nart-zee.

Has this thread been Godwined?

1 Like

No quarter to the heretics. Our Lady of the Opal Fruit demands your fealty.

1 Like

I agree with you, to a degree - everybody I knew in the pre-internet (for us, anyway, it wasn’t really widely available in my area), BBS days of the late 80’s and early 90’s pronounced it with a hard-g. It is absolutely not a new pronunciation.

As for "always been hard-G “gif”, that I don’t necessarily agree with. In my first year of university in 1996, there was a hard (no pun intended) dividing line between hard and soft g pronouncers in our computer science department, and it was usually a pretty good way to predict what kind of personality you had if you pronounced it with a soft g. I will be polite and not mention what it said about your personality, as it was very much specific to that computer science department, at the time. But the debate has been raging for a looong time (at least since 1996, in my personal circles).

None that I’m aware of. What modern English word starts with g and is pronounced with j - proper j, like in yes, not dzj?

The only thing cooler than pronouncing gif correctly is arguing about it with relative strangers.

That said, these two arguments boil down to “but it was always that way since when my mama raised me” vs “when you think about it critically.” @SteveKiwi was spot-on when they compared it to climate change upthread.

Fuck’s sake, this is just weird now. Can we not argue about guns or sexist games, or something?

Everyone, quick! How do you feel about legalizing abortions for Muslim Neo-Nazi sex offenders?

2 Likes

Well, why not put your effort into correcting the mispronunciation of [from Greek roots] cyborg or cenozoic or [from Latin roots] celebrate or century instead of gif?

I’m fine with it.

I can’t tell if you’re continuing the joke and if something’s going over my head, but in English a “proper j” is never pronounced as in “yes,” as far as I am aware. So it doesn’t matter if the word starts with “g” or “j”, it’s not going to be pronounced “y”.

Well, that’s what happens when you use þos unhandugons Rumiskons bokos.

1 Like

I imagine there are quite a few regional variations. Most people I know would pronounce it something like “Not-see”

While we’re on the topic of pronunciation of abbreviations, SQL is “sequel”.

The original query language was QUEL, pronounced like the word “quell”. SQL was literally the sequel to QUEL. The only reason it was shortened to SQL was that someone else had already trademarked “SEQUEL”.

2 Likes

I yield, sir.

kneels, closes eyes, mumbles in Latin

1 Like