Mattel about to launch first Barbie that wears a hijab

I’m still waiting for the Ken with a Kim Jong-un do. Wouldn’t that be dreamy!

1 Like

Play a moonshine drinking game while watching reruns of Duck Dynasty? [Which I just learned, from Wikipedia, ‘ended on March 29, 2017, with the hour-long finale “End of an Era”.’]

1 Like

Is that the same Barbie that films videos vertically? Still some learnin’ to do, Mattel.

3 Likes

What if someone were to play a moonshine drinking game while watching alternating reruns of “Duck Tales” and “Dynasty”—does that mean the person is conservative? I’m, um, asking for a friend.

(And I’m not referring to the 2017 reboots of those shows!)

2 Likes

It is their parents that exclude them, not toy makers.

No. They are real people who exist, so there is no reason not to culturally address them, just because you and others are uncomfortable with their religious beliefs.

9 Likes

But it’s not always about the rules, it is also cultural phenomenon. For example near the Polish-Belarus border is a multicultural region, with Catholics, Orhodox Church believers, and Muslims (there’s Tatar community, centered around Bohoniki mosque). The cultures mix there, and it is still not uncommon for the older Catholic women to wear headscarves similar to hijabs. Some did so for their whole lives, and there are no rules in Catholicism forcing them to do so.

6 Likes

Like in Der Schlangemann? (extremely NSFW and disturbing film, it’s on Archive.org but plz don’t watch :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

As awful as this may be, how can I not watch this now?

4 Likes

Given that not all Muslim women wear hijab, we can say the same about that too. There are widely different intepretations of Islamic modesty and probably tons of different fatwas on the issue, which are influenced by their cultural context.

9 Likes

You have been warned :slight_smile:

As an complete off-topic, dr. Herbert Schlangemann is also very respected person in academic circles.

1 Like

You’re cramming a large population of people into a very small box. Women who wear the hijab are a politically and doctrinally diverse group of women who adopt or maintain the hijab for a variety of cultural and religious reasons.

13 Likes

Finally…G.I.Joe has a realistic target. :disappointed:

1 Like

I’m not uncomfortable with peoples’ religious beliefs. I’m uncomfortable with them imposing those same beliefs on their children, though.

1 Like

You’re making awfully broad generalizations here.

And what do you suggest, we take children away from their families and raise them collectively?

4 Likes

The Tweet from the fencer also emphasises the point that this is about women making a choice about what they wear. As an atheist and liberal and feminst I have no problem with that, whatever my personal views about religious garb.

10 Likes

I’m suggesting no such thing. I am asserting (opining might be a better term) that there is a preferred state, where religious beliefs are not imposed upon children, but I am not suggesting any pathway to get there. I actually don’t think that there is a pathway to a secular upbringing for children of religious parents. It’s not the way religion works. Without the indoctrination of children as the single most effective tool for propagation, there would be no religion.

3 Likes

Another reason may be wearing hijab as an act of protest against repressive policies introduced by government, like French ban on hijabs in schools.

1 Like

100% agree. My throw-away was deliberately simplistic. But to agree that there are non-religious reasons to wear a hijab (or one of the many “variants”) is not the same as agreeing that religious beliefs and the wearing of such clothing is always unrelated.

1 Like

French have a long-standing ban on all displays of religious affiliation in public institution.

2 Likes