Mattel announces "David Bowie" Barbie doll

“David Bowie” Barbie

1 Like

The figure scales may not match-up. But I say… go for it!

1 Like

I feel like this is part of a recent trend where famous actors, artists or activists are being exploited for financial gain to an absurd degree. Working in a book store, I’m seeing this a lot with Bill Murray, Bob Ross and Ruth Bader Ginsberg in particular. Where once people would have been content with just admiring the person, verbally praising them and maybe, for a very few really obsessive fans, making their own shirt or buying one off some obscure Etsy seller, now there’s an avalanche of books, shirts, action figures and bobbleheads, magnetic poetry sets, bumper stickers, etc. etc.
I find it extremely distasteful because it reduces these real people to mascots- Ruth Bader Ginsberg is no longer just a role model, she’s a cartoon character who stands in for the concepts of justice and feminism, a Ronald McDonald of morality. Bob Ross is no longer just a kind, gentle person who many remember fondly for his painting show, he’s a memetic mascot for the very concept of being chill. It’s simultaneously robbing them of their dignity, exploiting them, and cheapening the positive values associated with them by entwining them with mindless consumerism and celebrity worship. I’m not surprised that people are trying to make a buck off of anything they can, but I am surprised that their customers are able to convince themselves that they need this junk.

My sister didn’t need no stinking themed Barbie doll. All it takes are a fistful of sharpies and a pair of scissors to transform the cheapest Barbie into Cindy Lauper.

My little sisters found imaginative ways to dismember, torture, and mutate their Barbies. What would they have done with a Bowie?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.