Mattel announces "David Bowie" Barbie doll

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/mattel-announces-david-bowie.html

2 Likes

Do we get a Madonna Ken too?

2 Likes

They have Nick Cave dolls now? I waaant one.

10 Likes

Dude- just mod one.

3 Likes

Bongwater reference FTW. :smiley:. Also, I do want a Barbie as Nick Cave doll.

3 Likes

Sorry, is this supposed to BE David Bowie or a girl wearing his 70’s clothing?

I’m (gender) confused.

Seems like a shallow cash-grab.

Fixed that for you.

3 Likes

Close enough?

1 Like

Concerns about over commercialization aside, anything that keeps Bowie the artist in the public consciousness is ok by me.

4 Likes

It’s a notably androgynous look

Really? Is it based on the “Barbie with the Plausible Torso” model?

1 Like

Maybe inspired by Bowie, but looks more like CQ.

While the breasts are still noticeable, they are smaller and more proportionate than Barbie doll torsos were back in my day.

They’ve begun slowly implementing more representation of diversity and more realistic body types:

So I give Mattel a tiny iota of credit for their tortoise-like progress…

11 Likes

nobody mentioned that the Ziggy character didn’t come about until well after Space Oddity, which is the anniversary they are purportedly commemorating? i mean, i guess the two are easily conflated, but it does seem to add weight to the “blatant cash grab” argument to me.

1 Like

If the outfit were different, it could be Gillian Anderson as David Bowie. (She cosplayed him for American Gods)

4 Likes

Is there a Goblin King version? Cuz that would be awesome, with his terrifying goblin war-mullet. Has to have The Package, though, which this Space Oddity one clearly lacks.

6 Likes

I took it to be celebrating David Bowie on the 50th anniversary of his first hit, and Ziggy is the best look for a Barbie.

1 Like

I do wish the hair was spikier, though.

5 Likes

If ‘they’ could do Keith Emerson miniature (ELP! ELP! ELP!), ‘they’ could do Nick Cave.

5be386923650677e0f90b68b75e5befc

2 Likes

If we get that, can we take Keith Emerson off of the Moog and put in Nick Cave… or members of Kraftwerk instead…

4 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering, Ken dolls are notoriously smooth on the undercarriage. David Bowie the Goblin King is distractingly unsmooth.

1 Like