Mattel just released a David Bowie "Hunky Dory" Barbie doll to celebrate the album's 50th anniversary

Originally published at: Mattel just released a David Bowie "Hunky Dory" Barbie doll to celebrate the album's 50th anniversary | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I look forward to the Diamond Dogs Barbie.

8 Likes

Huh. I never thought I’d cheer on barbie. But damned if they aren’t sending a big ol’ fuck off to the christo-facists. First a transgender Barbie honoring a great woman and now a Barbie celebrating a person who really pushed gender norms, complete with glam-rock makeup.

10 Likes

Probably still my favorite Bowie LP, even without the hit “Changes” the whole thing is solid.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Possibly pedantic, but isn’t this more like Pinups Bowie?

Here’s the back of Hunky Dory:

I dig it, anyway…

They had me at Ella Fitzgerald Barbie; the 13-year-old has one… (which I guess really just means I have an Ella Barbie, by proxy)

4 Likes

Of course, the video was shot in ‘73, so not really contemporaneous with the Hunky Dory album.

3 Likes

Ah! Yeah I’d forgotten about that. And for that matter, IIRC the “Space Oddity” video was Ziggy-era.

1 Like

Yes and no. There was a video from ‘69 as well as later versions.

3 Likes

The irises are the same colour, and the pupils are the same size. Pls fix.

Sincerely

The QA Dept

3 Likes

It’s the second time they’ve done Bowie, too…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.