Max Planck's Nazi troubles

Originally published at: Max Plank's Nazi troubles | Boing Boing

7 Likes

But what about Max Planck, @garethb2 ?

13 Likes

I discovered Kathy a week or two ago and am working my way through her videos. Great stuff.

6 Likes

That was his cousin, also a theoretical physicist. They were very close, and almost always seen together, which led Schrödinger to coin the expression, “thick as two Plancks”.

19 Likes

And when the door opened and one came in, shrouded in mist from the gloomy German night, you couldn’t tell which had arrived until you could see clearly and see if your latest ideas bounced off your visitor or were dead on arrival, leading to Schrödinger‘s later “is-it-dead-or-not” cat bounce.

ETA: Of course, they wouldn’t arrive at the same time, always a Planck length apart. But since Schrödinger was as bad at estimating distances as he was at determining ages of consent, he generally just assumed it was their other, younger cousin, Max Hëådróòm.

Thus the surprise at the recent revelations, as we did Nazi that coming.

11 Likes

Planking is dangerous enough without doing it with Nazis.

8 Likes

(side note: He was also a pedophile).

Oh good dog and butter…

5 Likes
5 Likes

“It was completely logical and reasonable for Max Planck to conclude in 1933 that Hitler was an anomaly that would be removed soon…”

That is a little chilling considering our current political situation…

5 Likes

Thank you for pointing me to a new youtuber to follow!

Planck was an interesting fellow, like Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an interesting species mind you.

He grew up pretty protected and was politically quite innocent, naive even. The typical ivory-tower professor who never looked beyond his academic world.

He seemed to be more aware later on, his relation with Einstein, Ehrenfest, and others definitely showed he had Jewish friends but he realized the truth too late and then lacked to spine to act. To be honest, by 1935 any open resistance for a such a public figure would have been suicide.

But the borders were still open and he had contacts in science all over the world. He made his bed…

2 Likes

Oops. Fixed.

6 Likes

I wish there was some way to give you an award for this comment.

Brutal. Brutal.
Wish I’d come up with that one.

5 Likes

She has many great videos, including this one debunking the Tesla cult that I found very interesting:

3 Likes

Speaking of cat experiments…

4 Likes

I refuse to hear anything against Tesla; his keyboard work in Sparks was exemplary.

2 Likes

Do you celebrate Schrödinger Tuesday with a stack of Planckakes?

2 Likes

What need have I of baubles? Your kind words are enough for me. :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.