Mayor 'underestimated public outrage' in letting an assistant police chief off easy for a flagrant display of Nazism

Originally published at: Mayor 'underestimated public outrage' in letting an assistant police chief off easy for a flagrant display of Nazism | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Christ, what a Nazi.

31 Likes

Which pretty explicitly details exactly what the significance is? Nice try, fascist.

38 Likes

Here is the deal: if you think Nazis are cool and you want people to associate you with Nazis, you are already a Nazi.

As for the esteemed Mayor Ralph, if you take it easy on Nazis, you are AT BEST a Nazi sympathizer. And that ain’t a good look.

30 Likes

I’m a WW2 history guy the German ranks are much better imbedded in my head for having watched that show.

6 Likes

He thinks that people are upset by which specific kind of Nazi he was idolizing? Like it would be OK if it was just a rank-and-file armband?

41 Likes

‘underestimated public outrage’

Could be worse. Maybe.

Getting kinda ballsy these Nazi Fks.

32 Likes

It…it almost sounds like you’re saying all Nazis are bad. Why, just a few days ago, we heard from a reliable source that we need to teach both sides of Nazism.

Folks, the gangrene goes to the bone.

28 Likes

underestimated public outrage

I hope the public outrage includes the town’s voters, if only so they don’t re-elect a mayor who (in the best-case scenario) isn’t all that bright.

25 Likes

Say what you will about Hitler, but he did kill Hitler.

34 Likes

Is Washington State a hotbed of Nazism and White Supremacy? It appears so.

Which makes this behaviour all the more inexcusable.

15 Likes

If he honestly didn’t know what “obergruppenfuhrer” meant, there’s no way on earth he could have spelled it correctly.

18 Likes

Or found high quality images of the rank insignia.

9 Likes

And if you’re a Nazi sympathizer, you’re a Nazi.

15 Likes

We’ve got a serious problem with white nationalists in police departments up here. Most Seattle police officers are Trump supporters (and do not reside in the city, even though they can afford it). The Snohomish County Sherriff actively defied the governor’s orders regarding enforcement of Covid-related ordinances, and as we can see in Kent, you’ve got someone who won’t even try to hide it, and both the Chief of Police and the Mayor did a big shoulder shrug.

13 Likes

I did Nazi that coming, again.

7 Likes

I wish this story could go without that shutterstock picture.

Suggestion - I think pictures like this carry a very different and more important message than seeing Nazi insignia:

10 Likes

From the linked article:
Since the investigation began in September 2020, the city has hired two outside attorneys — one to conduct an investigation and another to advise the mayor and Padilla on matters of discipline within the confines of the Kent Police Officers Association contract and in consideration of the state’s binding arbitration requirements for public employees.

Oh, FFS!
Police Unions are an abomination. I have no problem if all public employees belong to the same union, e.g. : ‘The Kent Municipal Employees Union’ or some such, because they are all funded from the same pot of money.

Ralph said in the video that city officials wanted to fire Kammerzell, but that they risked having him reinstated through arbitration.

So, how about letting him keep his job, just redefine his duties?
For example, he can goose-step all he wants while inspecting the sewers & garbage dump…
Pretty sure that would run into some obstacle or other, tho.

15 Likes

And I’m thinking that there should be a thorough investigation of all staff in that particular police org. Anyone with Nazi ties should be fired immediately as they clearly cannot fulfill their duties (as they cannot have the confidence of the general public).

11 Likes

17 Likes