McCain: If Clinton Wins, We'll Block All Her SCOTUS Nominees

I don’t see how.

The Supreme Court is established in Article Three, and the President appointing its judges “by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate” is established in Article Two.

It’s arguably more constitutional than the First or Second Amendments, as it’s in the main text of the Constitution, and not in an Amendment.

7 Likes

Conscripts.

2 Likes

The existence of the court is in the constitution. The powers of the court are not.

There wouldn’t happen to be a transcript anywhere, would there?

Between speed, lingual comprehension, ability to search, and ability to review, I find listening to spoken word to obtain information so much more frustrating than just reading it.

It’s the reason, despite loving their content, that I’m not caught up on YANSS.

1 Like

Can there just be a rule on the BBS that you can’t post any media longer than ten minutes to prove a point? And then only once per discussion?

Not that I haven’t already broken this rule, but still.

(Not picking on you @Wanderfound, but it does come up sometimes.)

Age of Supreme Court Justices

Ginsburg (L): 83
Kennedy: (C, but likes to swing): 80
Breyer (L):78
Thomas ©:68
Alito ©: 66
Roberts ©: 61
Sotomayor (L):62
Kagan (L): 56

There’s no real demographic “advantage” that I can see.

says that Ginsburg has 36% chance of dying by 2021, and Kennedy, just 32 %.Breyer gets 27%, and Thomas, 17 percent

They don’t appear to do transcripts, unfortunately (that podcast is done by the Radiolab team; the whole series is worth a listen).

TLDR version: although the court is established by the constitution, its powers are not. In the early days, it was rather vague exactly what the USSC was for, and the court made a number of strategic decisions (Marbury v. Madison most notably) in order to establish its own powers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 123 days. New replies are no longer allowed.