McDonald's customer sentenced to 3 years in prison for throwing hot coffee in employee's face

I’m glad to see this type of thing being taken a little more seriously. When I worked for a McDonald’s in the same county, one of my coworkers was fired after swearing at a customer who did the same thing.

I’ll also take this opportunity to remind everyone (as I do on almost any article involving crime in this county) that the Cuyahoga county jail is currently involved in a few prisoner death and torture controversies, as well as a few high profile accidental releases. The US Marshalls pulled out of using the jail, with their investigators declaring it one of the worst jails they had seen.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I think the reality we all can agree on is that the McD worker was not being unreasonable; they were asking a question more than likely to clarify a mistake wasn’t being made.

The jackass customer is. Well. A jackass.

4 Likes

This made me LOL

1 Like

I strongly doubt that the rehab options on offer will be impressive; but I also have to wonder if someone with this impressive list of priors and level-headedresponse to retail indignities can be rehabilitated without the sort of neurosurgery normally found in dystopian sci-fi.

I’m sure that neural resocialization, or the lobo-farm, would be up to it; but in practice there are many problems in psychology without ready solutions, even with all the Goodwill in the world.

1 Like

I have no sympathy for people who cause this level of damage to other people. Someone who has done this kind of thing over and over needs to be taken out of society permanently. I don’t know – life imprisonment, exile to a deserted island, whatever. Violence of this level really shouldn’t be tolerated.

2 Likes

This right here is why that million or so dollar suit against McD was such a good thing. Their coffee was dangerously hot and they knew it.They had simply settled all the previous cases and would not fix the problem. That judgement finally made them pay attention. Of course, it was less than one day’s coffee sales to McD, but they did eventually ratchet down how hot the fucking coffee was.

6 Likes

Hmm. The Newsweek article had nothing about a “Smilin’ Joe”. Perhaps @frauenfelder appended that amusing appellation?

1 Like

He would have gotten 30 years if he was a Black man. For the priors alone regardless of this incident.

3 Likes

That would be neat if you were actually the judge involved! If true I’m sure you’d have good stories.

Raven had way more class.

1 Like

"But being as this is McDonald’s coffee, the hottest coffee in the world, and would melt your skin clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question:

Do I feel lucky?

" Well, do ya, punk?"

3 Likes

And yet they evidently still serve coffee hot enough to scald people…

{corporate voice}: “Our valued customers demand hot coffee. If we don’t serve them super-hot coffee, they’ll just go to Supernova Coffee next door…”

1 Like

Hmm… lobotomies aren’t really that dire; the “zombie” state gradually eases and most people can eventually live a normal - but different - life. So maybe they don’t have to be written off as monstrous. But still, I find myself wondering if this guy was ever told to just hold his breath and count to ten when he’s feeling mad, or indeed had the experience to understand that being questioned is not the same as being insulted.

He’s still an incredibly vicious, self-important total dick, I just find myself wondering if it’s ever occurred to him to try… not being a dick,

Feels like I’ve discovered a coupla lost siblings here.

Nonexistent. Conservatives are all about punitive and the other side’s rehab efforts are lip service only

Marry me.

A milkshake, on the other hand, is acceptable political protest in the UK.

Apple pie is the ultimate weapon.

1 Like

Can confirm* the filling of a McDonald’s fried apple pie, fresh out of the fryer, puts their coffee to shame, vis-a-vis potential for instant, permanent tissue damage.

*former McD employee

6 Likes

For information relevant to this thread

3 Likes

Impulse

6 Likes