McDonald's customer sentenced to 3 years in prison for throwing hot coffee in employee's face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/09/mcdonalds-customer-sentenced.html

2 Likes

He sounds like a swell gentleman…

15 Likes

So I read this and ask “Why ask about if he order one or two cups?” Its $1 for a cup of coffee…if he only paid for one but you poured two…who cares. And then I ofc then ask, “Why would you throw the coffee at them for asking?” It’s not some high crimes insult.

The guy is a clearly an a-hole. Three years seems lenient to me.

12 Likes

Narrator: He won’t.

Like, this person seems like they have a huge problem with violent, impulsive acts motivated by anger. That’s just the kind of person I can understand locking away because they are just plain dangerous to be around. And still nearly* every time of hear about anyone going to prison I automatically think what a stupid awful waste it is.

* I had originally excluded this “nearly” but I realized while writing the rest of this… no, not every time. There are people I unequivocally think should be locked away.

I think people just instinctually like to double check when they think they made a mistake. My life experience makes me expect the conversation could have just as easily gone like this:

Employee: I’m sorry, I just gave you two cups of coffee. Did you order two or one?
Customer: Oh, I ordered one, here… [moving coffee towards employee]
Employee: Oh no, you might as well keep it. Give it to a friend or something.

It’s also possible the employee was just realizing they were supposed to give the previous customer two coffees and was worried they had screwed that up. And of course it’s entirely possible that the employee was a Yertle-the-Turtle shithead who was being a petty tyrant over their tiny domain who didn’t deserve to be burned with hot coffee (and of course I know you agree).

22 Likes

Working at McDonald’s seems like it should come with hazard pay.

26 Likes

Yeah, I feel that way a lot with these kind of things. Like, if I got ketchup instead of jelly, I could probably work with the McD’s employees to correct that without drawing a gun.

16 Likes

Deluca “has more than 20 prior convictions on charges including vandalism, intimidation, burglary, and grand theft… After his sentencing, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley said: ‘Deluca appears to have an inability to control his temper. Hopefully he uses the next three years to learn to correct that problem.’”

Plenty of room on his forehead for a “Poor Impulse Control” tattoo. That would be a better corrective in terms of benefiting the public.

24 Likes

Came for the obligs, leaving satisfied.

8 Likes

I’m curious, would you center it on his face, or on his head, since they appear to have two different centerlines?

6 Likes

Edit > Align > Distribute Horizontally

11 Likes

"I know what you’re thinking:

Did he order two cups of coffee or only one?

“Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself…”

12 Likes

“Smilin’ Joe” is McLoving It!

5 Likes

I guess “Smilin’ Joe” is one of those ironic nicknames, like big guys named Tiny.

5 Likes

But, hey, let’s lock drug offenders up for life because of their melanin count, right?

11 Likes

Some guys can never catch a break.

4 Likes

After his sentencing, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley said: ‘Deluca appears to have an inability to control his temper. Hopefully he uses the next three years to learn to correct that problem.’"

Here’s hoping Cuyahoga County’s prison of choice uses the next 3 years to teach and habituate him in controlling his temper.

What are rehabilitation programs like in American prisons? Any good or barely noticeable?

2 Likes

Deluca appears to have an inability to control his temper. Hopefully he uses the next three years to learn to correct that problem.

Of course, the prison I’m sending him to will take literally zero measures to actually address that problem, and we’ll all act surprised in four years when this person is back in front of me and the rap sheet now has 21 convictions on it.

9 Likes

At least around here, most McD’s now have two order lanes that merge into one payment lane. I can see how those might get out of sequence. The employee may have been trying to confirm whether they owed the next car two coffees, or something similar.

5 Likes

Or…

“Joe never throws a second cup of coffee in someone’s face at home.”

11 Likes
2 Likes