McDonald's loses Big Mac trademark after bullying tactics against upstart rival backfire

I understood that was an earlier case. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

A&W Canada is vastly better than A&W America… by leaps and bounds.

And the past few weeks, they brought back the Whistle Dog !! (big whoop, I can’t afford to eat there anyways)

2 Likes

The Coveted Pendant is no longer available. I just continue as a hobby and a public service.

9 Likes

I looked the Mighty Mac ingredient list and it contains two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese and onions on a sesame seed bun.

No pickles.

Therefore it’s a completely different burger. Why is McDonalds in a huff about it?

3 Likes

McDonalds didn’t sue Supermac for looking similar to McDonalds, they sued because Super and Mac kind of sounds a bit like Big Mac, which they argued violated their trademark.

Supermac eventually won because they successfully argued that McDonalds have never used the words Big Mac to describe their restaurants, only a particular style of hamburger. That’s also why McDonalds lost the trademark for chicken burgers called Big Mac – they’ve never sold one.

It’s a basic rule of trademark law that you can’t legitimately claim a trademark on something you don’t trade under the mark.

5 Likes

McD should get the cafeteria concession at a maximum security prison and call their new burger the “SuperMax.” Such sweet revenge, you can almost taste the grease!

5 Likes

… just because their lawyers didn’t win this time doesn’t mean it’s not their job to defend all the trademarks

“Bullying” would be going after a guy named McDonald who was not copying anything

1 Like

So you had a jingle too? This played in Brazil until we got sick of it.

“Two burger patties, lettuce, cheese, special sauce, onion, pickles in a sesame seed bun. It’s the big Mac! Big Mac!”

1 Like

All the young’uns have today is “whopper whopper whopper whopper.”

1 Like

same-float-bounce-multi

Rainbow-UnicornTS

2 Likes

The SuperMac chain is named after a guy called Pat McDonagh. Perhaps he could rename the stores to McDonaghs? That will resolve any confusion.

6 Likes

They’ve done that too.

McMunchies (UK)[edit]

In 1996, McDonald’s forced Scottish sandwich shop owner Mary Blair of Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire to drop McMunchies as her trading name. Mrs. Blair did not sell burgers or chips. She said she chose the name because she liked the word munchies and wanted the cafe to have a Scottish feel. The cafe’s sign reflected this, featuring a Scottish thistle and a St Andrew’s flag. But in a statement to Mrs. Blair’s solicitors, McDonald’s said if someone used the Mc prefix, even unintentionally, they were using something that does not belong to them.[16]

2 Likes

And McDonalds could rename themselves “Kroc’s” and there would be no confusion with footwear as they don’t sell any.

Unrelated but I recall kind of enjoying this film.

Michael Keaton is deeply, greasily, unlikeable as Ray Kroc. Which I figure is about right for the deep fried grease sugar and shit salesman.

5 Likes

Probably depends on how much American TV there was when you were growing up. I still remember when we upgraded from bunny ears to a proper antenna, and could get Fox from Buffalo. Game changer!

I read an autobiography of Ray Kroc back in the early 90s, I think. It’s called Grinding it Out. It was one of the sources for the movie script. Even though it was an autobiography, and intended to show Kroc in a positive light, obviously, I remember thinking even when I read it, “Wow, he was kind of a dick.” Especially to the McDonald brothers.

4 Likes

I read an authorised biography of Walt Disney ages ago and came to the conclusion he was a monster!

3 Likes

The Supermac looks better. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.