MD cops say sex offender refused to shut down 60-person coronavirus bonfire

“Let’s party like it’s 1699.”

(eta) Also, what does his sex offender status have to do with his idiotic bonfire party? Is it just a way to further demonize a stupid person making a stupid decision? Not all “sex offenders” are created equal. I had a friend who had consensual sex with his girlfriend in a car parked on city park land and (iirc – he’s no longer around to ask) they both ended up being added to the sex offender registry.

I’ll check the original article later to see if it goes into that more.

9 Likes

-IST!

Agreed. It hasn’t been that long since CO required registry for those caught pissing in public.
Adding sex offender status to this article seems akin to how cops say add “known” to “juvenile” or “felon” when talking about why they “had” to shoot someone in the back.

3 Likes

It’s just another data point to allow us to feel morally superior, is all.

4 Likes

Similarily, CA Governor Newsome just pardoned lots of folks who would have been considered ‘sex offenders’, including Bayard Rustin, one of the architects of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and heros of the civil rights movement:

10 Likes

I know, RIGHT!

He’s a tier III registrant in MD (Lifetime Registration) for a conviction from Virginia in 2001. Offense is listed as “Carnal Knowledge/Indecent Liberties”.

Listing - http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/sorSearch/search.do?searchType=detail&anchor=true&id=5419104

VA (2020) statute search for MD listed offense - https://law.lis.virginia.gov/search_cov.html?query=carnal%20knowledge%20indecent%20liberties

1 Like

I did a bit of digging and the original article didn’t say anything about his sex offender status.

The second article from Crime Online (which is heavily pushing “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace” for whatever that’s worth) included:

Myers is a registered sex offender, charged with carnal knowledge and indecent liberties in 2001 in Virginia, according to the Maryland sex offender registry. The Washington Post also reported that Myers was indicted in 2011 on first degree murder charges in a 2004 shooting. Myers took a plea deal and testified against another suspect in exchange for a 15-year suspended sentence for conspiracy to commit robbery. The other suspect was convicted of first degree murder.

So I followed their link to the registry and uncovered this:

I feel they whiffed it on their “plain language” intent, unless it was because the crime happened in Virginia, because that doesn’t really clear it up for me.

A bit more digging and that term appears to be related to either sex or sexual contact with a minor.

It happened when he was 19 or 20, and without details of the case there’s no telling the severity of the situation. At least not for this non-lawyer person.

Please don’t think I’m defending his past, or his present. He’s obviously doing stupid and dangerous things. His life seems to have been a series of bad decisions up to his latest one.

It’s just – to me – calling him out on an unrelated charge that took place half his lifetime ago smacks of virtue signalling and an attempt to add even more tar and feathers to him for his current ignorant behavior.

“Did you hear about that guy who got arrested for having a bonfire party? Not only that, he’s a sex offender! What’s next?!”

6 Likes

Myers is a registered sex offender, charged with carnal knowledge and indecent liberties

We really need to update our old-timey sex crime language to things that sound less quaint. I think I saw Carnal Knowledge open for Indecent Liberties at RiotFest back in the day.

6 Likes
3 Likes

…Egad. He looks like someone crammed a 150 PSI air line up a Thomas Dam (“Good Luck”) Troll doll’s ass and cranked it to 11 o.O’ .

“Not a good look” has to be one of the more drastic understatements of this decade.

As an aside, “vintage” and “Made in China in 1986” are…interesting concepts, taken together. Comedy abounds!

5 Likes

3 Likes
3 Likes

Do you have any links to support that claim? Not discounting that this might be true, but I am asking because a quick search in English did not reveal that at all. And about 2 weeks ago I I did more research in German because the press and people started calling every gathering of people a “corona party”, but none of the articles even claimed that people wanted to get infected on purpose to get it over with, all the articles were about people who had parties despite recommendations not to.

It’s one thing to have parties out of ignorance, but it is something different entirely to purposefully seek out an infection, right?

I’m seeing results for New York, New Jersey, Kentucky, Massachusetts…

The intent probably varies from “lets show the world this is a hoax” to “We are all going to get it so might as well go out with a party” to “No one I know has it so the B-day part will not be cancelled”. All different flavors of poor judgement.

14 Likes

Thanks. The second and third link you provided refer to parties where people go to actually get infected (even though that Wintrich guy denies that in the article), the other three artciles are about parties that happen anyway, at least as far as I can tell.

That is different in Germany, here we don’t have right wing asshats suggesting to infect people on purpose to get it over with (we have just normal right with asshats, which is more than enough).

3 Likes

Yes, the current situation is a playground of opportunity for all manner of asshats. Darwin Awards is an equal opportunity contest.

8 Likes

Mortality?

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s been too long since we’ve seen you, old friend.

1 Like