Meanwhile, the container garden continues towards its ultimate purpose

Originally published at: Meanwhile, the container garden continues towards its ultimate purpose | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Our strawberry patch didn’t produce more than a handful of berries for the first two years - and we have at least 36 plants. Year 3 they gave us about two pounds. Last year, year 4, they gave us 20 lbs!

[edit] Careful with those tomatillos, they are magnificently good self-seeders. We haven’t planted any on purpose in 10 years, but they show up all over the yard every year.

9 Likes

We’ve had a few dips into the high 30’s at night [4000 feet elevation], we were lucky enough to get the veggis covered and did not lose any to frost. The daffodils / tulips are thriving.

7 Likes

Cement wonderland.

6 Likes

shocked shocked no marijuana, ganja, bud, stinkweed, rope, mota, kif, dagga, pakalolo …usw.

3 Likes

We’ve that same gargoyle.

4 Likes

I thought that perhaps the garden’s ultimate purpose was to bring that gargoyle to life.

It ain’t gonna weed itself ‘ya know!

7 Likes

It’s a distant memory now but I loved that movie “Gargoyles.”

5 Likes

one thing we learned is that you have to plant tomatillos in pairs, or hope that a neighbor has some, because they need to cross-pollinate to bear fruit. i wish they would just either put that on the tags, or sell them in pairs as a default, because i wasted one year growing a huge bush that only got flowers. i guess it made the bees happy, but still, no fruit for us that year.

6 Likes

Perennials like strawberry and artichoke won’t do much the first year. You’ll get a few berries from the plants, but unless you have an artichoke created for colder regions, hold your expectations for artichokes until next year.

4 Likes

Mom planted three blueberry bushes at the back of the yard, but the dogs pretty quickly killed them. She was almost as upset as when another dog killed her Kamata Nishiki tree peony.

6 Likes

I pulled and repotted 100 strawberry plants from my garden. Gave 50 to the local high school, 20 to a coworker of my wife, and 30 more that need homes still. I may try using containers for the strawberries. Why not.

7 Likes

My tomato plants are on their way, pots ready. Bee friendly flowers and hotel in the pipeline.

5 Likes

All right, have it your way, just don’t complain when they start growing in the sawcut and expansion joints. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have the opposite experience here, everything in the ground does much better than containers. I live in Georgia though where it rains pretty much constantly. The tomatillos will definitely need their own box, they get much bigger than you think.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.