Measles outbreak sends 800 Washington students home

Or in reality, the whole country… We joke about florida, but weird stuff happens everywhere. It’s just fun to focus on Florida…

6 Likes

Yes. It also…Florida. I mean FLORIDA. Because of course Florida.

1 Like

From JAMA… “The True Cost of Measles Outbreaks During the Postelimination Era”

3 Likes

Serious question: if you are vaccinated against measles, can you still contract measles? I ask because 800 students seems like a lot of kids who haven’t been vaccinated.

Yes because it isn’t 100% effective. You are relying on all the other people who are vaccinated to stop it before it gets to you.

10 Likes

From the CDC website: “The MMR vaccine is very safe and effective. Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective.”

9 Likes

To add to @TobinL and @Wayward’s comments, herd immunity is a big part of vaccination as it helps protect those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons as well as those whose vaccinations didn’t work. If too many people choose not to be vaccinated then it all falls apart.

14 Likes

I wonder if there are schools which allow unvaccinated kids in every classroom, but have an administrative aneurysm if one kid brings a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.

1 Like

Sounds like that’s a bridge too far even for horrible Doug Douchy.

Considering I’m recovering from the flu (even though I got the vaccine some months ago, probably was a different strain than what was predicted then), I’m upset at seeing folks taking no precautions on things like the measles and the flu. Like seriously, these are things that can KILL YOU. >:C

5 Likes

More to the point, these are contagious things. You’re welcome to kill yourself, but NOT to infect others.

6 Likes

We really need to start calling Anti-Vaxxers what they are: “Plague-Enthusiasts”

7 Likes

People are still opting out.

Please stop trying to engage me in conversation; I’m not interested.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Related:

outbreaks-graph
(CDC graph)

Christ on a bike. These kinds of illnesses were common when I was small, and they were not fun. Thank Dog for the introduction of vaccines so my peers’ spawn did not have to suffer the same.
Would anti-vaxers also consider the revival of widespread polio or smallpox trivial? angry emoji

4 Likes

And even for non-contagious diseases, you have no right to put your child’s life at risk.

Punchline: After their unvaccinated son went through two months of agony and nearly died, the parents still refused to vaccinate him.

10 Likes

Came to post this. Antivaxxers will use this to prove that “tetanus is not that big a deal. He lived!”. Idiots.

4 Likes

Certain traditional societies knock out one of their adult teeth on purpose so that people who contract tetanus (lockjaw) can be fed. I think that’s one very small and reasonable requirement for anyone refusing vaccination.

3 Likes

And some are getting fake medical exemptions from doctors who charge a lot for the lying.

Not my circus; not my monkeys.

I inoculated my kid; I did my part.

1 Like