Media spokesmillennial actually 55 years old

Yes! Mistype! I fix!

3 Likes

I was going to University then. Except I was the last year that didn’t have to pay the fees. I remember the protests on campus.

1 Like

At the older end of X, too; on the edge of Boomer territory.

3 Likes

Most definitions of Boomer put the end at 1963. I’m also 55, and describe being a tail end Boomer as getting to a party after all the beer is gone and everyone is passed out. All the opportunities that the boomers enjoyed in the 60s-70s growth of business, academia and creative industries were chewed up and spit out by the time I came along. All these jobs were filled up by mid-career boomers leaving far fewer openings. Even casual sex was ruined. At least Gen-Xers were raised on cynicism rather than optimism and had few expectations.

5 Likes

Not for me it wasn’t.

My parents house was easily bought with a 3× earnings mortgage when they were in their early-mid 20s. When I was in my early 20s I couldn’t have bought my grandad’s house (who lived on the same street and had recently died) with a 5× earnings mortgage (If a bank or building society would even give me that). I’d need even more than 5× now.

As it turned out it was a good thing that I hadn’t bought a house in Carlisle then, but it doesn’t change that I couldn’t afford it then and I still can’t afford it now.

8 Likes

Well put.

Being a GenXer is like being that guy who shows up to the party just as it’s being raided, but winds up getting blamed for it nonetheless.

Indeed it was. They had their fun, then turned around and gave us Reagan, the War On Drugs, and the Christian Right.

That’s the best part. What the Boomers call cynical I call self-aware and realistic. I know the only opportunities I’ll have are the ones I make for myself.

9 Likes

I was referring to persistent or lethal STD’s, but yours are valid too.

4 Likes

Cause we’re a bunch of nihilistic, punk loving, hip hop crazed slackers!

7 Likes

They mostly only had the annoying ones, but then AIDS came along.

I’m not sure who or what is to blame for AIDS.

\m/  

4 Likes

One of the articles linked to in this thread said that according to police records he was born May 1961.

4 Likes

And the only retirement I’ll get is whatever I can scrape together and save for myself. You know… assuming society still exists in 25 years.

7 Likes

Blame for the virus? Evolution.

Blame for deliberately failing to respond to the virus, because the mass death of junkies and faggots was seen as “God’s justice”? Reagan.

15 Likes

At least you got punk out of it. What’ve we got? Dubstep?

4 Likes

And hip hop. And postpunk. New Wave. Death Rock. Ethereal. Industrial. Etc.

Gen X subcultures are best subcultures!

14 Likes

There’s nothing to know. It’s made up.

2 Likes

Pumpkin.

Trans fat.

Kwai Chang Caine eventually returned to China, embittered and stripped of his idealism, and fell into the orbit of the ancient master Pai Mei. From Pai Mei he learned the secret of immortality, and he spent more than a century profiting from his skills as an assassin, eventually taking the name “Bill”.

6 Likes

Well, I gave away my birthdays years ago to some greedy little boy who wanted more birthdays to get more presents; so I am forever seventeen…and I am in a good place with that…:blush:

8 Likes

Er, which one, and from what to what?