Media spokesmillennial actually 55 years old

Probably from Memes:

4 Likes

My definition would be: born in or before 2000; turned twenty in or after 2001.

That is: they were a infant, child, or teenager during the year 2000 (thus, millennial).

Maybe the events of Law and Order took place between the first and second seasons?

3 Likes

The problem is that no-one can agree on a definition.

Some definitions have 41 year olds as millennials. Another problem is none of the definitions take into account that school years do not start on January 1st.

My definition is someone born in the 80s, 90s or the last few months of 1979. this fits well with a lot of other definitions and accounts for school years.

2 Likes

I was born in July 1979 and I consider myself a Li’l X’ie (despite my efforts, this has not caught on.) We’re too old to be lumped in with Millennials and too young for Gen X, we’re the kid brothers and sisters of Gen X. The Little Archies of Gen X.

9 Likes

Millexxial?

9 Likes

Sure, if one is rich!

2 Likes

18 or younger in 2000, so born between 1982 and 2000.

Tie that in with her role in Spartacus and you win the internet.

4 Likes

You could argue he is more of a Gen Xer, since he would be too young for much of the formative events of the boomers - Soviet domination of the early parts of the space race, seeing the Beatles on TV for the first time, remembering where he was when Kennedy was shot, seeing the Civil Rights movement unfold, then the antiwar movement, the summer of love, Woodstock… but he’d better remember seeing the first man on the moon, and he’d well remember watergate, the Carter administration, and the Reagan administration and punk and disco.

1 Like

Because we got the best culture? :wink:

12 Likes

Seriously, nobody can agree on what the definition is

There was a generational shift for anyone in the UK who was going to university in 1998. The introduction of tuition fees and the abolition of student maintenance grants in favour of loans. It was just the first sign that my generation was about to be shat on.

6 Likes

If your first job after graduation had an annual salary less than your student debt… you’re probably a millenial.
If you can’t ever hope to afford the house your parents bought as a starter home… you’re probably a millenial.
If you get told you are a selfish by people who vote for their own interests over the interests of their grandchildren… you’re probably a millenial.

25 Likes

If he’s 55 years old, he would have been born in 1961 or 1962, so within the last three years of what are considered the Boomer years. He would have been alive for the space race, Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and the Kennedy assassination, but he would have been too young for it to have registered. Likewise, he would probably be able to remember the civil rights era, summer of love, antiwar movement, Woodstock, etc, but would have been too young to actively participate. He counts as a Boomer, but just barely.

That’s how I am with the GenX stuff. The moon landing and Watergate were before my time, but I vividly remember the Reagan years. I remember punk and disco but was a little young. I was more into alternative rock.

Seriously, we do. We were written off as cynical slackers just because we didn’t want to repeat the same mistakes the Boomers made, but we’re arguably more ethical and socially conscientious then they were. We’re still written off, only it’s because we’re too old to be Millennials and too young to be Boomers. I think this is because nothing bad happened to us at a national level during our formative years. No Vietnam, no GWoT… unless you count the Cold War and all the Reagan-era Wars on Abstract Concepts, which I definitely think you should.

9 Likes

Which was my point. The Beatles on Sullivan is often especially remembered as a key event in the lives of many boomers (from the stuff I’ve read on their history as a generation). [quote=“LearnedCoward, post:54, topic:92334”]
The moon landing and Watergate were before my time, but I vividly remember the Reagan years. I remember punk and disco but was a little young. I was more into alternative rock.
[/quote]

I think that’s still part of the Gen X region. If you can remember teh end of the Cold War, pretty well (the Reagan years), it’s firmly Gen X, I think.

1 Like

i thought it was anybody who still hadn’t moved out of their parent’s basement! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe are widely credited with naming the Millennials.[1] They coined the term in 1987, around the time children born in 1982 were entering preschool, and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the new millennium as the high school graduating class of 2000

That’s the definition I was going with. I consider anyone alive but under 18 in 2000 to be a Millennial, but the generational boundaries can indeed be fuzzy.

My answers are:

• Nope
  • That’s an exaggeration but I totally get it
  • All the damn time.

They’re all arbitrary distinctions to try and describe someone by one
factor- though in his relationship to the events you note I think it would
be more generation Jones.

1 Like

Gen Z are those born after the Millennials. Did you mean Gen X?

2 Likes

The concept of a Millennial was invented by William Strauss and Neil Howe, and their definition starts on 1 January 1982.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss_Howe_generational_theory

Unless the Media Spokesmillennial in the OP is claiming to have had his birthday this week, being thirty-five would mean he was born in 1981. Being fifty-five would mean he was born in 1961 or 1962. He is Generation X either way.

1 Like