Medieval 'wine windows' are having another moment in Italy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/08/medieval-wine-windows-are.html

7 Likes

Not Medieval. Not Black Death! Still cute window, though.

22 Likes

They’re just glory holes for alcoholics, really. :wink:

39 Likes

She has more patience than I do. As a (sorta) medievalist as well, I have long since given up giving more than a cursory correction in response to such misunderstandings. Eleanor Janega on the other hand has written a very readable blog post in addition to that twitter outburst.

The whole renaissance thing she talks about gets me every time as well. People forget that the very people who invented the Renaissance were, by definition, born in the Middle Ages.

13 Likes

Thanks @Doctor_Faustus, I really enjoyed her posts. I am not a historian but I have read some history. Unlike that politician, and I get sick of the vapid assumptions about earlier cultures that regularly get trotted out. Her tying it to contemporary brutality towards homeless people is excellent.

8 Likes

Correct. Still bubonic, though.

8 Likes

:thinking: Chainsaw, masonry saw… got a bag of cement, just need a form… spare wood, insulation… :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass: 's

This is totally going in at the side of my house this weekend…

Sadly, it’s going to have to be the fenced-in wall… medieval renaissance traditions having been overtaken by temperance era legalities in the province of Ontario about 100 years ago.

10 Likes

When we bought our house, it still had a milk box, dating from the days of home milk and bread delivery.

Unfortunately we bricked it in years ago.

15 Likes

I moved into a place that has a decorative stone wall with an opening in it that originally housed tiered temple bells. I hadn’t really figured out what to do with it. Since it’s near the front door, I could turn it into a wine window by narrowing it with something temporary and put all my related items (barrel, bottles, glasses) on the other side! :bulb: :thinking:

8 Likes

@teknocholer Ah, that’s the :cat2: door in my house. We built an insulated box to fix over the original and take a conventional plastic cat flap with sliding door… tiled the cupboard on the other side for the litter box to discourage :raccoon: encroachement.

But… I suppose we could create a little arched “Porta del Gatto” there and six feet to the right a “Buchette del Vino” would work…

@PsiPhiGrrrl Perfect! Put a :bell: at the top to ring when the wine is ready. :grin: Maybe a really big one for when it’s time to call the neighbours over for a cask…

11 Likes

Something like this might not be loud enough, but it gives me a lot of ideas…

A ship’s bell might work better (and have less risk of shattering). There are a lot of hard surfaces to avoid.

8 Likes

Throw in some recreational marijuana, and I’m there.

9 Likes

6 Likes

That’s not a Wine Window, it’s a Pot Hole.

37 Likes

(Off topic from wine windows, but…)

You have a rod and drapery across the front door? Is that to keep drafts out? Or…?

3 Likes

It was there when I moved in. It hides the hardware, and there is airflow from the hallway into the unit when the door opens. It doesn’t do much to muffle noise, though. I can hear doors to other units closing from time to time.

4 Likes

I just know that I would get my head stuck in that little window.

What’s that? They hand the glass out to you? Cool.

7 Likes

Also, depending on where you lived, the beginning of the Renaissance started hundreds of years apart.

4 Likes

We had one of those in the garage of the house in suburban Detroit that we moved into in (if I am doing the math correctly) 1972 when I was 6. I remember my mother talking to the milk man so we may have even had milk delivery there for a while–but I may be confusing that with something else.

4 Likes

In the states, the top two-thirds of the drive thru window at Taco Bell is covered in plexiglass.

1 Like