Medievalists on Disney's middle ages

One can really see that in the stories that aren’t medieval fairy tales - Pocohantas or the Hunchback of Notre Dame are two examples.

Edited to add: I really prefer both Henson and Miyazaki for modern storytelling. Henson’s The Storyteller was really a fantastic show, and I wish it had lasted much longer. So much more interesting and complex that much of Disney’s fairy tale stuff… but individual MMV…

1 Like

I also really like Fractured Fairytales. They were very open about the fact that their stories were designed to be new stories using familiar characters and themes. Even so, they didn’t lose the cautionary tale portion of the stories. Here’s a link to their Snow White, which focuses on the Wicked Queen and like the original story it warns against vanity and jealousy. It also introduces a more modern warning against false advertising and trying to buy happiness.

1 Like

Pandora was the one with the box. Persephone was the one carried off by
Hades, as I recall.

Hmm, I think you’ve given me an idea for a D&D magic item…

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, and I’ll hop right up and fix that. Thanks for noticing.

2 Likes

Catgrin, I was responding to your comment citing examples of blue roof tiles – not your points about folklore.

You are, of course, quite right right about the depictions of folklore.

The medieval period lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. I didn’t want to spend a long time hunting, but was answering the question about what material the roofs might have been. They were typically glazed tile in Asia or slate in Europe.

The Temple of Heaven in Beijing was built in 1420. I don’t have a date for chateau in Cheverny, but the Chateau D’Usse was built from the 1400’s until completion in 1612.

If you haven’t read it. Find Neil Gaiman’s “Snow Glass Apples”. I think there’s a free audio version out there somewhere. It’s a re-telling of Snow White from the Queen’s point of view.

Also, if you haven’t read 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas. There’s a PD audio on
http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

Pod that up on a bedside timer and I dare you to stay awake. It’s audio ambian.
Thank goodness Disney altered the story because the original reads like a textbook on navigation and marine taxonomy.

EDIT: It’s also interesting to note that Vern predicted the taser in that book.

At the risk of pedantry, let me clarify. When I say “medieval” I mean specifically medieval European (hence Asian buildings are, while beautiful and well worth study, not relevant – ditto for pee-columbian Mexican architecture, etc…). The two European castles for which you provided images, both of which look similar to the Disney representation of castles, are Early Modern in style. (Although Ussé’s foundations date into the Middle Ages, it was renovated and renovated, and the resulting roofline is not medieval – but very beautiful).

I’m a medievalist and the misidentification of early modern (and later) trends as medieval is a pet peeve (hence this reply).

I believe that the number one reason why the Disney “medieval” castles look as they do, as someone else noted, is the 19th c. folly Neuschwanstein – hardly a historically accurate source!

1 Like

You are being a bit pedantic, and talking to the wrong person. Your problem isn’t with my examples (which are from the correct period), the roof color, or with the materials - both of which were used extensively during the medieval period (and the medieval period didn’t just happen in one place no matter what your area of specialty might be).

Your problem is with the Disney design of their castles - which aren’t medieval at all, and I never once said they were. So, why you’re commenting about this to me, I really don’t know. You probably should have just made a stand alone comment about that issue because your problem isn’t with me.

If you’ll go back and look, you’ll see that the question I was responding to was not just about Disney animation, but about “American animation” and “video game animation”, so Asian references are wholly appropriate to include in my answer. Also, it isn’t just Disney that makes animated roofs blue. Having done a little bit of animation (and being a fully trained artist and designer), I can verify that there are several reasons for using blue on animated roofs where possible.

First, it’s a way to visually “push” a background into the rear of a scene. You use cool colors in the background and warm colors in the foreground.

Second, it ties the roofs to the sky, visually heightening the building.

Third, the color is actually historically correct. Slate IS blue. Blue is also used in place of tar black modern shingles.

Other than Sword In the Stone…do any Disney Movies even Claim to be set in Medieval times?

Their set in Fantasy land…so why is it a shock that they’re a Fantasy?
It’s like complaining about the physics of a flying elephant or that Morgan’s and Merlin’s wizard/witch duel wasn’t historically accurate.

BTW: If you eat at Medieval Times that’s not historically accurate either—they didn’t have Pepsi in Medieval times.

Robin Hood?

Edit: Although I doubt the historical accuracy of that movie. From a 5 minute scan of it, there’s a significant number of non-period items and references in the film. As well talking snakes and rhinos. :wink:

They produced both live action and animated versions of Robin Hood. Note that Robin Hood isn’t a “fairy tale” - it’s a folk hero legend. The story takes place in Britain (and the animated version has an old West folksy narrator :slight_smile: ).

If you’re really hunting for a Disney “Medieval film” - and you’re willing to go with live action - I’d suggest that Dragonslayer qualifies as one of their best. Although it’s sword and sorcery fantasy, it’s pretty clearly set in Britain (not Fairyland), and in the early part of the Medieval era. It also includes really good characters for both young boys and girls to associate with.

For sword and sorcery animated, they also made The Black Cauldron. The books it’s based on take place in Wales, but Disney took serious license with the stories.

EDIT: This response is to both @SmashMartian and @SamWinston - you guys were both discussing the topic, and I want to make sure that Sam gets the answer.

1 Like

Dunno how he manages to fret that lute, though. Maybe some sort of wing-tip-claw like bats have to help them cling on to things.

Forgotten about that one. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.