Medley of "100 Amazing Bass Lines")

I thought it was just lovely, although not at all comprehensive. How about some Willie Dixon, Ol’ Thunderfingers, Charles Mingus? There are so many great musicians, how can we fault someone for claiming their favorites and playing those, whether they accord with our own tastes or not.

Amazing performance ! Aggree with some comments about lack of Primus, or the PIL comment. I would have add Bela Lugosi’s Dead from Bauhaus, iconic bass line to me :slight_smile:

And Walking Thru’ Jerusalem from The Corporation

And The Guns Of Brixton from the Clash

The Stranglers, Nice ‘N’ Sleazy

Joy Division, New Dawn Fades

and many more from the post-punk / early Goth scene (Jumping someone eles train from the Cure, some Sisters of Mercy, and many more :)).

I think if any of us had done that (and had the TALENT to do it as him), there would be plenty of people telling us that we missed this or that :).

[edit] Dammit I almost forgot New Model Army, Notice Me (and almost all their bass lines BTW :))

I notice at least two cover songs attributed to The Blues Brothers. Is he pointing out that the arrangements used by the Blues Bros (presumably Donald Duck Dunn?) were particularly iconic compared to the earlier or original versions? Or unaware that they’re cover versions?

2 Likes

I play that same model Fender Jazz but no where near as well as Davie504…

We can always argue over bass lines that should have been in there or should have been left out, as usual I bewail the complete lack of Jamaican representation, surely most white people do at least know Exodus by the bass line? What I suspect is some of the choices that maybe questionable here were inserted as transitions for key matching or for ease on the fingers.

I count myself so lucky to have seen them live a few times back then.

Of the two songs credited to The Blues Brothers here, one is a traditional and one is a cover of Taj Mahal. The first I’d say fair to credit to TBB but the second not so. As for Donal Duck Dunn, well lots of the songs played by TBB were his and Steve Cropper’s songs originally but thats a different matter.

1 Like

I was just thinking that some people would want to give a level of credit to the writer of a song, and another level of credit to someone who created a unique arrangement of it. But I’m probably overthinking it.

Aaaw man, I’m sooooo jealous. Don’t get me wrong, I’d go see them now, but recent performances on the 'tube seem anaemic by comparison. I think Angelo’s been staring into his own navel for far too long now, especially if the documentary Everyday Sunshine is anything to go by.
And I hate to say it, 'cos I’m no spring chicken myself, but they just look like they’re too old to pump out that kind of performance now :frowning:
Those old performances were just pure, manic energy, and Norwood appears to be possessed by the gnarly, nasty, frenetic spirit of bass.

Age takes its toll on all of us

That was really fun, but I think this guy listens to more Jamiroquai than the average person. And weren’t a bunch of these guitar riffs? Seven Nation Army is, for example.

I want to add to the I wish I hard heard pile:
The SugarCubes – Birthday
The Breeders – Cannonball
The theme from Night Court

maybe he just couldn’t play it

He’s obviously a pretty awesome bass player and musician, no need to detract from the guy.

This is the peril of doing any of these compilations, people don’t notice the awesomeness and just fixate on what they wish was included.

And on a sidenote: holy crap this is awesome. And in one take!

I’m not 100% sure thats correct but even if comped from multiple takes, still awesome!

Yup, how soon they forget…

the glory that was John Entwhistle:

1 Like

Night Court theme, I’ma let you finish, and you are good, but Barney Miller is the TV bass line of all time. Of all TIIIMMMMMMMMmmmmeeeeee!

Amen, brother.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.