Meet Helen, 5, detained by Trump, forced to sign away her rights in court

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/11/meet-helen-5-separated-and-d.html

7 Likes

How can any child make a binding agreement? Does this not fly in the face of all American law?

47 Likes

in the present circumstances (complete republican control of government with 45 in the white house) i can’t imagine why you thought that would matter.

43 Likes

So fucking infuriating.

Five year olds should be learning to how to read and tie their shoes, they should have people around them who love them, not assholes who coerce them into signing away their few rights.

Look at the sign she’s holding in the first picture. ICE didn’t even care enough about her to spell her grandmother’s name correctly.

28 Likes

My fellow citizens, we must act to bring a change to the USA. Please help others get to the poles this November 6th.

tumblr_pg91nhMNt81raoevc_250

34 Likes

Hell, I tried to join the Columbia Record Club as a teenager and they refused me, because I wasn’t old enough to sign a legally binding contract.

And they honestly think they can get away with claiming a five year old can legally sign away her rights???

portland-mad-carrie-b

41 Likes

“Something something but they are criminals and not American! Who cares! They should have just stayed home!”

16 Likes

IANAL - but yes, this is laughable, or would be in different circumstances. The people doing this are criminals - Kidnapping isn’t any less of a crime just because the government is doing it, and none of this would stand up in an actual court - they are simply trying to give it a veneer of legality to delay criticism. All we can do right now is try to expose this behavior and reunite children with their real parents, and vote those assholes out in favor of someone with a shred of human decency.

And yes, that’s pathetic and sad. We kinda lost moral authority when we started torturing people.

30 Likes

How fucking amoral does one have to be to treat any child this way? How goddamn amoral is someone who supports this treatment? I don’t like to be vindictive, but it wouldn’t bother me at all if Trump choked to death on his own spit.

The Trump Cult has brought this country to a low that I never could have imagined. I really dread living out what should have been my “golden years” in fascism.

32 Likes

This is what this country has become. Shameful.

23 Likes

They don’t think it. They are. And when this all comes home to roost, we’ll never be able to reunite many of the children with their real parents. This is a scandal that will be talked about for the next 50 years.

23 Likes

Silly, American law isn’t for people of color! /s

22 Likes

While I agree with the thought and the outrage, anyone who really is shocked by this has not been paying attention.

4 Likes

31 Likes

I’m not shocked, but I was hopeful it would not come to this. Within a couple months of Trump’s announcement on the golden escalator, I said (I think it was on this very forum) that his supporters would be the ruin of this country and I feared then what would happen.

6 Likes

Sorry, man. I think in the end this will be worse than any of us could have ever imagined. :persevere:

13 Likes

I have to ask myself …

22 Likes

How about we get progressives to the polls and reactionaries to the poles? Works for me.

9 Likes

While you’re at it, also start thinking about what you plan to do if the midterms fail to substantially alter the situation.

12 Likes

It’s only for show. She lost her rights the moment she set foot in the Land of the Free.

14 Likes