Meet the leader of one of Japan's ultra nationalist groups

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/16/meet-the-leader-of-one-of-japa.html

1 Like

I’ll give this guy two fucks right out of the box. Right wing indoctrination. It’s dooming us as a civilization and as a species. Fuck this guy.

17 Likes

Obviously he is too young to have personally experienced what ultranationalism in Japan led to the last time around. Not that that is an excuse.

15 Likes

:notes:Fuck off fascists, everywhere!:notes:

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-mad

18 Likes

Counterpoint: No. No it fucking isn’t.

25 Likes

Meet the ASSHOLE leader of one of Japan’s ultra nationalist groups

FIFY

15 Likes

I have been told that there are strong links between the ultra-rightists and the yakuza, and that the drivers of the black speaker trucks (‘gaisensha’) are often lower-level yakuza members. Allegedly, the yakuza also sometimes use the black trucks to move contraband or weapons, because Japanese laws about freedom of ideology discourage the police from searching the trucks.

Fascism and organized crime: there’s a match made in Hell.

22 Likes

24 Likes

I mean… if that’s how people are in fact being educated, then it’s no wonder he’s such a fuckstick.

6 Likes

Indeed. For example:

Kenji Doihara (土肥原 賢二 Doihara Kenji, 8 August 1883 – 23 December 1948) was a general in the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II. He was instrumental in the Japanese invasion of Manchuria for which he earned fame taking the nickname “Lawrence of Manchuria,” a reference to Lawrence of Arabia. However, according to Jamie Bisher, the flattering sobriquet was rather misapplied, as that Colonel T.E. Lawrence had fought to liberate, not to oppress people.

As a leading intelligence officer, he played a key role to the Japanese machinations that led to the occupation of large parts of China, the destabilization of the country, and the disintegration of the traditional structure of Chinese society to diminish reaction to the Japanese plans by using highly-unconventional methods. He became the mastermind of the Manchurian drug trade and the real boss and sponsor behind every kind of gang and underworld activity in China.

After the end of World War II, he was prosecuted for war crimes in the International Military Tribunal for the Far East. He was found guilty, sentenced to death, and hanged in December 1948.

See also:

9 Likes

A huge center for these losers is Tokyo’s Yasukuni Shrine. The shrine for the war dead. The museum attached to the shrine, especially on Sino-Japanese War/WWII related exhibits is a paeon to right wing revisionist bullshit.

The last time I was there, they had fliers for an upcoming Indian National Army reunion. The equivalent of a museum in Germany having a party for Vichy paramilitaries.

11 Likes

While wandering around Tokyo once, I saw a large and interesting-looking shrine, and decided to take a look. It was only when I got closer that I saw that the approach to the shrine was lined with little tables with little old men showing off books full of pictures of Japan’s ‘glorious’ past, at which point I belatedly realized where I was. My inner ten-year-old enjoyed the tanks and planes in the attached museum, but my thirty-year-old-self was glad that I couldn’t read enough Japanese to be able to understand the accompanying texts.

Yasukuni-jinja is a third rail in Japanese politics. If a new prime minister doesn’t go and pay a visit during his first month or two in office, he’s damned by the right for disrespecting the nation and the glorious dead etc.; if he does go, he’s condemned by the left and by all of the country’s neighbors who suffered under Japanese rule. I suspect that most Japanese politicians quietly and fervently hope that all the very old men who are still living in Taisei Yokusankai fantasy land will soon die off and make it all irrelevant.

That may be a vain hope. If we’re learning anything in these days, it’s that fascist fucksticks are an infinitely renewable resource.

8 Likes

My father served on submarines in the South Pacific Ocean during WW2. It is precisely this ultra-nationalist asshole’s thinking that caused my father to continue to hate the entire population of Japan and frequently opine two nukes were nowhere near sufficient. My father’s been dead for some time, but we tried to avoid talking about the war with him to keep him level.

3 Likes

On my first trip to Japan years ago I encountered one of these buses (this was a big’un, not just a van) during a rainy Sunday morning stroll in Mishima. I heard the martial music from a ways off, and made sure to hide my face with my umbrella as it passed. Not that there was any real chance of anything happening, it was just uncomfortable as all get-out.

2 Likes

He did also say that food, clothing, housing and medical care should be free. So, he’s got that going for him.

Isolationism in US, right wing fascists in Germany, ultranationalists in Japan. What century is it again?

3 Likes

Looking at the guy in the video, I think he was born after WWII, or was a child at best :frowning:

3 Likes

What I want to know is, once all the ultranationalists have taken power, what’s going to happen to the world? Does it become their version of an extreme right conservative utopia? Do they realize that - oh, no country is an island, so they will need trade, immigration and the free movement of ideas to keep their countries afloat? Or do they just turn on each other?

3 Likes

We in the West do tend to forget that much of the world really does see Hitler as someone with valuable lessons to teach as a leader and strategist. I mean, he did get a major world power to put him in charge.

It’s disgusting, obviously. But yeah, surprisingly common.

There are people in the west who hold this view. There have been people here on this board who hold this view (or at least used to be). It’s a blinkered view that ignores the historical reality, because most people don’t actually read the historiography about nazi germany, and instead read popular histories written by dudes who cream their jeans over tanks and planes.

11 Likes