Meet the leader of one of Japan's ultra nationalist groups

I saw these assholes when i was in Japan in June, was by their Chinatown… i forget the name of the area. Let me dig up a pic

3 Likes

Thought I had video of these guys ranting but I must’ve deleted it

Anyway I don’t speak or read Japanese so I don’t know if it’s the same people but judging by how loud they were being it didn’t seem normal and gave me a weird vibe

5 Likes

My inlaws were adolescents during the war. They can’t stand that right wing bullcrap.

2 Likes

That was big in the 1960’s. (See Star Trek TOS “Patterns of Force”) A lot of that went by the wayside in the following decades when the truly chaotic mess of the Nazi government came to light. Such as the wasted resources, wildly terrible decisions by Hitler, intelligence failures, the technological development which was stymied, the haphazard infighting of its inner circle, the parasitic economy…

6 Likes

This shit is like herpes. You never really get rid of it.

4 Likes

Most probably the last one.

1 Like

Regarding the video, Asian Boss was a bit freestyle with subtitling but thats kinda to be expected. Its not “serious journalism” and I didnt catch any severe mistranslations. “Alt Right” is a pretty poor mapping for the uyoku groups but I suppose that was done for folks who dont understand context. Its also wrong to call this particular group facists as they are actually monarchists.

I actually liked the opening part where Morigaki is going off about the Asahi Newspaper. It really is true that they’ve been caught out on full pants on fire lies. Where Morigaki talks about Hitler, context matters. What he said following that regarding people’s right to their own opinion really matters in the context of Japanese society. (the translation was a bit rough but theres a limit to what one can do with subtitles)

Lots of people here are frustrated with group think and the seeming inability of leaders to say anything clearly much less the inability/unwillingness of people around them to say things clearly. Thats the appeal of the uyoku groups in a way, they say what they mean and say it clearly. Morigaki is smart enough that where he explains his concepts about the relationship between citizen and state he says things regular folks here won’t disagree with.

What the first guy is saying about wanting Japan to have a military but being opposed to war is actually a pretty normal view here. Its not something that can be shuffled off as oddball right wing middle aged dudes, its something I hear from people of pretty much all ages.

Yes the sound trucks are really annoying and some of these groups do some really awful things, no question. But as for what individual members or groups say, I try not to rely on third parties to tell me, I’ve just gone up and talked to people when I see the uyoku doing their speeches and what not. I try to do the same with pretty much any demonstration or speechifying, I’m just curious about people.

2 Likes

The 21st, and yes, it is happening all over the world.

It’s the next stage of oligarchic neoliberalism.

Thanks, Obama (and Bill Clinton, and Reagan and Thatcher and Putin, etc.).

5 Likes

Fascist healthcare tends to have real death panels for anyone who doesn’t measure up.

3 Likes

The only way I’m going to meet that guy is carrying a briefcase full of bricks to hit him over the head with.

Sorry, got carried away. I think I lost my face just now.

2 Likes

This. Right-wing populist regimes turn on each-other internationally just as surely as they eventually start scapegoating the Jews domestically. It’s only a matter of time. Imagine the kind of foreigner living in one of these countries who would be foolish and smug enough to pretend otherwise.

Gangsters are gangsters, whether they wear uniforms or not. Once in power they always get involved in criminal activity, knowing they can’t be touched. That’s one of the many reasons that fascists were categorised as criminal organisations after the last go-round. If only young people studied history.

Only for the “deserving”. That dog whistle works the same as it does in the U.S., just calling a different “breed”.

6 Likes

I’ve probably mentioned this before but when I talk to these people (they arent all men) the subject of my own background comes up fairly often (not because of their politics, its just a common thing in conversation between Japanese and foreigners). 100% and I mean 100% of them say pretty much the same thing to the effect of “I respect Jews. Jews know who they are and have not forgotten even against all odds.”.

The current Emperor and the Previous one had a very positive relationship with the local Jewish community. Old guy I knew here personally worked on some research on ichthyology with the current Emperor. Japan’s positive relationship with the Jews goes back at least to 1905 when Jacob Shiff financed Japan’s war with Russia and Japan is possibly the only place where when the elites first came into contact with Protocols the reaction was “these people are impressive, lets be friends with them”

What you say may be generally true but as with many things, context matters.

You are making an assumption. Morigaki may well be calculating those words on the fact that they are “common sense” to most Japanese but I won’t go assuming guilt where there is no evidence presented.

1 Like

It’s true in the context of ultra-nationalists and right-wing populists. Japan is far from an exception to that rule, and their taking a calumny like the Protocols as a positive is still engaging in stereotypes (sort of like Dolt-45 talking about only trusting “little guys with yamulkes” to count his money).

Yes, one grounded in the fact he’s a right-wing ultra-nationalist. He’s no more friends of the Jews than Il Douche or Putin, although some of the fundies are so addled by superstition and their own ultra-nationalism that they forget the history of these types:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/the-happy-go-lucky-jewish-group-that-connects-trump-and-putin-215007

At least the future kapos are identifying themselves early. So convenient for fascist politicians.

3 Likes

Those are still valuable lessons, even with that much inefficiency going on they were still “effective”* enough to do terrible amounts of harm.

Like maybe crossing our fingers and hoping the Cheeto in chief will get nothing done because of how incompetent he is, is not a good strategy.

Same goes for the fascist fucks in Europe, just because they are dumb as bricks, totally self contradictory and can’t get specific on any subject if you press them, doesn’t mean will stop them from bumbling their way to a position of large enough power.

I really, Really, Really hope the global left finally get’s it’s ass out of it’s own ass and offers a actual alternative to this mess. It’s not that hard, pick any two or three from the choices below and base your platform around this:

• Increase income for the working poor (increase minimum wage, some form of basic income, etc).
  • Hold banks, bankers and other financial criminals accountable for their actions.
  • Stop Pickety-style increase of the divide between the 99% and the 1%.
  • Decrease the influence of money in politics.
  • Stop subsidizing industries that is dis-proportionally bad for our environment.

Ah, who am I kidding, this is never going to happen…

Edit: *effective as seen from their own perspective. I would have obviously preferred him never even making it through the first war he was in :unamused:

3 Likes

I feel lucky that in my trips to Japan (every 2-3 years since 2002), I have never seen these buses. Maybe they are just not popular in the Kansai region (Western Japan-Kyoto, Osaka…) where I am usually staying. Or maybe the roads are too narrow in most of those places. Who knows?

1 Like

Yes, like I said, people who’ve read the historiography of the nazi era as opposed to pop histories glorifying war understand how ineffective the nazis were. It was primarily because they privileged their murderous plans for Jews and other people above literally everything else. This message still has not seeped into the larger public consciousness, though, and the mythology of the unstoppable nazi war machine still looms large. One has to wonder why that is?

5 Likes

If you want to influence politics, you go where the main politics is and thats Tokyo. However there have been incidents in Kansai involving uyoku groups.

You ever read Martin van Creveld’s first book about Hitler’s strategy in the Balkans? He’s a pretty serious military scholar (deliberate understatement) and does not come to that conclusion.

1 Like

I haven’t read that particular book but van Creveld is an authority on military logistics and has been very critical on the general Nazi war effort in that regard.

Contrary to the portrait of a supremely rational and perfectly synchronised Nazi military portrayed by Hitler’s alt-right fanbois and by the kinds of popular histories @mindysan33 refers to, van Creveld and other serious historians show a lot of inefficiencies baked into the Nazi war machine.

First, Germany’s armies were not exempt from hindrance by the poor supply train planning all armies run into – especially (and unsurprisingly) in Russia. Furthermore, due to the often amateurish whims of the Nazi leadership, the Wehrmacht generals were sometimes forced to wing it and overextend themselves to an unusually dangerous degree when it came to logistics. Finally, looting and genocide (two priorities characteristic of fascist regimes) frequently took priority over military re-supply, diverting much-needed transport resources on the Eastern Front in particular to projects that had zero military value.

1 Like

I’m not unfamiliar or uneducated on either his work on logistics or how it affected that or other wars. However before van Creveld got into a logistics focus (and FWIW he’s also written more than a few books on this over the years as well) his focus was on strategy, theory of and particular studies of.

But back on topic;

Well I’m certainly glad I have you to tell me about the uyoku dantai. Maybe you’ve read some of their books, seen em in action or listened to the speeches and can do a compare and contrast on Japan vs the West in regards to far right groups and how they function in their local contexts?

Again, context. We didnt live here at the time and Japan had no first hand contact with us of any significance up to that point. The complete lack of experience or context produced the opposite effect to which Protocols was intended and triggered a sort of philosemitism.

But even today there’s so few of us here that the average person doesnt know a thing about us and doesnt recognize us on sight. This isnt the West and the cultural baggage we have to deal with there just doesnt apply here.

I don’t know him personally but I do know that on the whole it has been the more national elements which have kept relations between Japan & Israel steady post 1973 OPEC oil embargo and the secondary embargo which followed.

In any case I personally prefer respect over supposed friendship because respect means you are dealing on an equal level.

OK first off that Politico article got widely debunked. Second off to the best of my knowledge you are not a Jew and so accusing some Jews of being kapos is in fact pretty low even if you were a Jew. Among us thems fighting words.

1 Like

You mean the dude that wrote his dissertation way back in 71 on that topic who also argues that women aren’t actually an oppressed class? That guy? No.

You do realize that there have been decades of scholarship on the nazi regime since that time, that have been able to access all sorts of new material that they did not have access to before, right? Regimes that had relevant documentation hidden behind communist governments (including in the Balkans and East Germany) have been freed up for scholars to examine. He might be serious, but that doesn’t mean he had all the relevant facts in 1971.

Such as privilege their genocidal program over their military.

Anyway… always be punching nazis.

9 Likes