Meet the most popular straight woman on OKCupid

Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.

5 Likes

Sure - but it seems pretty clear in context from her interview that she isn’t talking about “You can really tell that this person is trying to say something specific about their personality, based on a single photo” and rather is saying something much more superficial along the lines of “You can always totally tell if a person is worth dating or not based on their hair or clothes in a single picture”. And the (seemingly) latter explanation is what I was objecting too, in particular the always part.

why are you putting quotation marks around a fairly inaccurate paraphrasing?

I’m assuming the most popular straight woman on a (still assuming) primarily straight-male-dominated hookup website must have developed a highly specialized Blink-style technique to sort hundreds of profiles as quickly as possible based on instant, instinctual clues. I’m guessing a lot of false negatives (i.e. wrong first impressions) don’t bother her in this situation of extreme abundance, so whatever works I guess?

It’s not like what she does should be considered relevant for more normal situations or, worse, be seen as deep insights for life or anything.

Nope. Social signifiers only say anything about the society, not the individual. Jobs, clothes, and social classes all made by other people don’t directly relate to the person who is depicted with them.

Of course, it would seem convenient for some of they did! Then you could know something about people by simply seeing them. My guess is that it’s a form of laziness caused by most people dedicating nearly all of their brain power to optical processing.

That’s rich. If you look at people you can see that from the very moment at puberty when they start expressing themselves and their own personality it immediately takes the form of clothes, hair and behaviors. People band together naturally to form cultures, subcultures and “classes” all of which they use to both inform and express their personality. To say that it doesn’t express who they are but is all foisted on them by society is to have a very dim view of people IMHO.

I see it as being a simple mistake which people are predisposed to making. This doesn’t mean that I need to become judgemental about it, since doing so won’t help them or me. But functionally? No, I think it doesn’t work.

I could call the phenomena something like “emergent distortions”, where people collectively build models based upon the uncertainties of what people apparently think of each other. It does come from people, but wholly from presumptions.

Ah that’s your issue, you see it as judgemental. It’s not though, it’s accepting information people are broadcasting about themselves, about affiliations of which they are proud.

1 Like

No, I don’t. This was in reference to your suggestion that my refutation of visual social signifiers represented “a dim view of people”. This dim view would be my own judgement, so I was clarifying that I perceive it differently.

Sure, but I think it is superficial information. There isn’t anything wrong with it, but it doesn’t really say much about them. YMMV of course. Broadcasting information about yourself is not the same as a signifier, which suggests an actual code which can be understood as having a particular meaning. I disagree that style == message.

There is an ancient behavior issue with humans. That is trying to simultaneously model what one feels about others, as well as what others feel about oneself. I think it’s too much baseless guesswork, and gets in the way of actual communication. But, like I said, people use most of their brain by far for finding visual patterns, but the more involved interactions are, the less can be visually assumed about them. Language seems far more efficient,

Why do we care what this person thinks? Because they’re popular on an online dating website? Neat…

Welcome to celebrity culture. Yes, it’s nonsensical, self-feeding circular logic. Yes, it’s super stupid. No, I don’t know why people keep falling for it.

This is someone who only wants to date people who live in New York and don’t have housemates. The social signifiers are obviously important to her. And, indeed, most people, especially young people, often see these signifiers as an important part of their identity. Maybe you don’t and maybe that makes you not her type.

My OkCupid profile was one of me DJing in a club - blah blah blah, it’s all cultural constructions and the pure, unadulterated ME didn’t come through. Thank god. Most people stopped messaging back once they found out I was a noise musician…

And also, they don’t have to make a lot of money. But they have to live on their own in New York. So…

1 Like

Taking it a bit further, I don’t even believe in personal identity itself, which no doubt makes the signifiers seem even more devoid of meaning.

This also can result in interesting changes to the perspective of self or other upon “dating” when dating is framed as not being a personal matter.

3 Likes

You have interesting views. I mean that in a good way.

4 Likes

After 3 beers she will look like Xena, The Warrior Princess. I wonder if she has a blonde sidekick?

I think that being the most popular person on a dating website makes you at least somewhat remarkable. I don’t think that qualifies them to give lectures on physics or run a country, but it certainly is something and a book written by them might be interesting to read. It’s certainly more than I’ve accomplished.

1 Like

And your white tiger screams hetero who makes good life choices.

1 Like

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.