Meet the rocket scientist who invented the Super Soaker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/meet-the-rocket-scientist-who.html

8 Likes

It’s not rocket… well hey wow it is!

12 Likes

That was a fun interview to watch. Talk about a gentleman who has made lasting contributions to this world…and beyond. Wow!

6 Likes

Original Super Soakers were amazing. Then Nerf got their claws into them and turned them into hot garbge. I’ve heard a Super Soaker XP250 with the nozzle removed makes a hell of a fire ball…

3 Likes

''I said to myself, ‘Jeez, this would make a great water gun.’ ‘’

Roger That!

7 Likes

Johnson Research & Development.
Bringing a better future one Johnson at a time.

2 Likes

A man who retains his kid soul and recognizes fun when he sees it, that’s a real man. This guy is great!

10 Likes

On behalf of the many kids that ran around in their backyards or through the woods around their houses soaking one another through the summer months, thank you. Super Soakers brought a lot of smiles to a lot of kids during the summer.

Out of curiosity, how many of you as a kid had one of those red clear plastic rockets that you filled halfway with water and then hooked a little pump up to it and would pump air into it and then you’d pull the little lever back and the rocket would shoot into the air spraying water out of it as it soared up into the air? They were super cheap and you could find them in that shelf in every grocery store that had like cap guns, kites, squirt guns, and bags of green army men in one single bay on some random aisle.

12 Likes

Adulting is highly over-rated.

I have spoken.

5 Likes

Those rockets ruled.

3 Likes

I wonder if he likes cats. Please say he likes cats… because that would really nail it! :grin:

1 Like

I remember those; anyone near it when it went off got a good spraying; very inefficient in how it used its potential energy!

4 Likes

Those were great. I wore out several.

5 Likes

Yeah, my mum made me fire mine horizontally in order to make it easier to recover. A decision she regretted very quickly :grin:

5 Likes

It doesn’t mention that it took Dr. Johnson 7 years to develop and market the Super Soaker. He went through quite a bit to get it out and recover all the costs. He’s an inspiration to me for persevering through the tough times.

4 Likes

I loved that damned rocket. I had a couple of them (they tend to break on impact with anything hard). Cap guns, squirt guns, green army men… sigh… I’m breaking out my hotwheels today and playing on the floor, catch you all later.

4 Likes

He’s also done work with heat engines as well.

2 Likes

Back in the day, we used to take water rockets and hose each other with the exhaust. So close, so close…

parks-plastics-toy-water-rocket_1_accc416bea0904ba50b8b85cbc41acd3

(Pop bottles were glass at the time.)

6 Likes

I can still smell the water that came out of those on launch!

3 Likes

I loved those rockets! More than one ended up landing in the upper gutter of my parents roof though. Followed by my dad muttering under his breath while getting the ladder out of the garage.

2 Likes