Megyn Kelly can't understand why blackface is offensive

The classic fictional example

4 Likes

19 Likes

pssst…megyn…

40 Likes

Okay, where are you lot finding these amazing TOS/TOS cartoon gifs with wrong dialogue. I love it…

31 Likes

This woman is all kinds of stupid.

3 Likes

She should go ahead and wear a blackface costume this year and maybe somebody will stop and explain it to her.

3 Likes

Well then, I guess lynching was OK in the '50’s, but for whom?

2 Likes

I’m told that she came to understand parental leave as well.

6 Likes

There are also some black Juggalos (Tech N9ne is one) who wear white makeup, but it’s not to appear like a Caucasian, it’s to appear . . . weird I guess.

There is an African-American guy in my neighborhood with vitiligo, and he wears brown makeup all the time to cover it up. I wouldn’t consider this “blackface”, even though he’s covering up white skin with dark makeup.

Anyway, I wonder if in some alternate universe where the USA didn’t have a history of blackface minstrelsy that mocked people of color would blackface be no big deal. Of course we aren’t there, we’re here, and the wounds are still raw, and they seem to get reopened and infected again and again.

Eschewing blackface costumes is probably the least effort white people can do to try and make the world a better place, and people like Megyn Kelly don’t even want to do that.

17 Likes

https://twitter.com/swear_trek

19 Likes

You beat me to it; I love that site.

Not white face; they were painted to look like skulls to help disguise their facial features.

RE, Clowns and mimes; also not whiteface, because White people who are clowns and mimes traditionally paint their already light faces white.

‘Whiteface’ has no systemic racism behind it, so it’s not equivalent to Blackface; which was invented specifically to mock and denigrate Black people.

32 Likes

Its British companion

https://twitter.com/swear_who?lang=en

10 Likes

I don’t know what they’re talking about before the video starts (“You’ll still be able to dress like a moron.”), but Megyn asks her “What counts as racist?” question, then they move away from that while Melissa switches to dressing up like a Nazi and her son dressing up as a fire fighter, but the Megyn insists on bringing it back around to do another lap on blackface, trying to figure out it in the context of The Real Housewives. She seems to genuinely have no idea.

You do not know how much you just improved my life.

8 Likes

12 Likes

we prefer the term “invisible pedestrian”

13 Likes

Well that is just wrong and evil because mimes.

8 Likes

how old is she anyway? she seem to be around my age, and there is no way wearing blackface in the 70s was acceptable ANYWHERE.

22 Likes

Aye; everyone hates mimes, and it has nothing to do with the makeup.

10 Likes

Megyn Kelly seems like one of those people who, if we simply ignore them, they’ll just fade from existence. Donald Trump was once one of those people, and then NBC gave him a television show, excavating him from obscurity and ultimately accelerating the pace of human extinction.

16 Likes