Meh. Our sponsor who sends us random boxes of crap

7 Likes

You just get a start-up together to send other people your junk in return for money. Win-win.

4 Likes

I was coming in here to see if anyone else was aware of the Woot connection, and from what iā€™ve seen itā€™s very much in the spirit of pre-sellout Woot. Though i have not really followed the site too closely so i havenā€™t gotten around to buying anything from it. Anyone here have any experience with Meh?

1 Like

Mostly agreed about all of that, but while the scale is vastly exaggerated, capitalists being what they are, thereā€™s still your average not-tor-or-Bitcoin proficient user thatā€™s willing to pay for the content, and thus rings to shut down.

Itā€™s basically original-flavor woot. with maybe a bit more cynicism. Actually, thatā€™s exactly what it is, having been started by the original guy. I was so glad when I discovered it, because I missed Woot.

2 Likes

New user here, so my opinion may not count for much, but Iā€™ve been a Meh customer since the day the site went live. Iā€™ve placed 90 orders in the last two years and have been pleased with their customer service. They arenā€™t Amazon, so you arenā€™t going to get your orders super fast, but shipping is cheap and so are the products. The rare times that issues have arrived with products, they have been quick to step up and fix things.

2 Likes

Is there an equivalent of woot-offs?

Not yet, but they havenā€™t ruled it out for the future as far as Iā€™m aware. They do have a ā€œbag of crapā€ equivalent called Fukobukuros (unlucky bags). Like Woot of old, the bags sell out in seconds when they are offered so you must be logged in and ready right at changeover.

3 Likes

I do appreciate the feedback :slight_smile: I figured their service mustā€™ve been good but I like being able to verify with people that have used the site vs a sponsored post.

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome! The forum over there is pretty active, and there are faqs listed somewhere, so if you have any questions, or want more info on the company and policies, check them out and ask. Weā€™re all pretty friendly, in a snarky kind of way.

Thereā€™s a word for how I feel about thisā€¦or is it a sound? Canā€™tā€¦canā€™t be bothered to think of it, reallyā€¦

3 Likes

Just what I need. More garage cruft.

Xeni and Mark!
Never could this combination be ever called ā€œMehā€.
Loved this, and hope to see more in the future.
Cheers to both of you, well done indeed.

1 Like

Gosh, who would have thought that selling your business to a megacorp might cause changes in how itā€™s run!

Iā€™m continually flabbergasted when startup founders are surprised by this, over and over and over.

Yeah, I donā€™t really think that was how it went down. The founder sold it, got a good bit of money, but wasnā€™t able to start a competing company for a certain length of time. They started A Mediocre Corporation, which did other things, and then when the time was up, kickstarted Meh.com. I really donā€™t think there was a lot of surprise, though there was probably a good bit of disappointment that Amazon took a good thing and completely ran it into the ground and ruined it by doing the exact opposite of everything that brought it success to begin with.

3 Likes

The surprise in this case is successful managers acquiring a quirky business ā€œbecause they canā€ but not wanting it to be a quirky business. Soā€¦ why buy it versus any other?

1 Like

Because they want to use an existing businessā€™ goodwill to build something thatā€™s better ā€œmonetized,ā€ which almost invariably involves fucking it up in some way.

Maybe this was surprising the first dozen or so times it happened, but by now everyone should know what happens when you sell your plucky startup to a megacorp. There is no excuse for being surprised anymore.

Iā€™m guessing the song and dance was very different in the courtship versus waking up next to jeff@amazon.com

2 Likes

It always is.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.