Mel Gibson won’t be grand marshal of Mardi Gras parade, after all

Originally published at: Mel Gibson won't be grand marshal of Mardi Gras parade, after all | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Fortunately, the official who came up with this brilliant idea had a suggestion for a replacement grand marshal: Kanye West.

18 Likes

No tits, sugar or otherwise, for Mel!

7 Likes

I’d like to see more attention given to the folks who chose him, because this reads like the city was somehow involved:

15 Likes

They can take his Grand Marshal title away, but he’ll always have his Grand Wizard title.

21 Likes

An interesting piece on the Krewe of Endymion from 2012:

https://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/us/color-lines-blur-at-mardi-gras-krewe-of-endymion-has-first-african-american-king/index.html

Endymion began in 1967 and has always been integrated, but old-line krewes, the private organizations responsible for Mardi Gras festivities, were once segregated.

In the more than two centuries since Mardi Gras was introduced by the French, the pre-Lenten tradition has, for most of its existence, been experienced in black and white.

The Krew’s current progressive stance seems to have been compromised. Perhaps by “old-line krewes”?

8 Likes

Mardi gras parades are all run by private groups, city officials have nothing to do with who serves as grand marshall in a parade.

In this particular case, I was shocked when Endymion anounced that they were going with Tulane football coach Willie Fritz along side Mel Gibson. Of course people were pissed about Gibson, how could they possibly not see that coming?

5 Likes

Progressive here is very relative. Endymion is the Krewe for rich people of all stripes; if you can afford to be on a float you can ride. The old krewes were very explicitly white supremacist. Comus and Momus refused to parade after the city required integration. One held out until ~10 years ago, the other still doesn’t parade. That Endymion is more progressive than that doesn’t make them a lefty group. They’re still dominated by conservative, rich, old, white men

14 Likes

I hate hate hate how officials always word things that way. It fuels the false narrative of a “woke mob” bullying regular people to their agenda.

16 Likes

How his career is not totally over is beyond belief. I guess that’s pretty much proof that his assertion that “The Jews Control Hollywood” is complete nonsense. It’s like we’re living in opposite-world, where nothing a celebrity does can stop them. The fact that Trump continued after the Access Hollywood tape is proof enough of that.

7 Likes

They need to find someone who really knows how to throw a party.

6 Likes

someone FABULOUS!?
yes, please!

6 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.