Men rush to get vasectomies after Supreme Court ends right to abortion

Not for everyone. For some, it’s a pretty easy decision to make.

Except they are reversible, unlike tubals…

5 Likes

Or maybe for instance him and his partner figured they probably didn’t want children, but they judged the risk of changing their minds smaller than that of needing an abortion – just not smaller than that of her being forced to to carry a fetus to term. But you know, whatever, I’m sure you know everything you need to judge these people…it usually doesn’t require much knowledge of circumstances.

9 Likes

Abortion is not really comparable to forced birth in that respect.

1 Like

I hate how everyone STILL assumes that most people getting abortions are just singles who are too dumb to use birth control, when most are women who already have children, and often are married.

But I guess the stereotypes of dumb, young sluts who are unable to keep their legs shut has been successfully spread by the far right, and so most people believe it.

13 Likes

Or they felt pretty secure with an IUD and the guy just hadn’t gotten round to it. But now even the remote possibility of a pregnancy is too much risk. What with with needing to leave the state for an abortion and possible criminal charges for doing that.

Sure. Some men never thought of it. Some men felt, hopefully in discussion and agreement with their partners, that what they were doing was enough. But the landscape has changed drastically and everyone has been adjusting

Also. Who knows how long before the forced-birthers get around to removing all birth control? Including vasectomy.

6 Likes

Can you please stop putting words in my mouth?

And vasectomies are reversible only in some cases, with the success rate reverse proportional to the time between the vasectomy and the reversal attempt and as low as 40% if the procedure about ten years in the past. It is definitely not something you do if you plan on having children later in life.

1 Like

… and so, thus, if that burden becomes worse, it can move to a different place on the list?

2 Likes

Did you ever think that maybe the men “rushing” to do this are doing so because they care about the women they are with, and don’t want to get them accidentally pregnant, and don’t want children in the future?

Also…

Also, men who can’t become pregnant do not die from carrying babies.

7 Likes

You could always try pulling out. This thread might be a good place to start.

11 Likes

Maybe there might be people who were on the fence? And maybe something happened to push them off the fence? Hence the rushing.

1 Like

Yes, that is usually the reason for a man to get a vasectomy.

Also, from that very same Wikipedia entry:
Pregnancy rates range widely in published series, with a large study in 1991 observing the best outcome of 76% pregnancy success rate with vasectomy reversals performed within 3 years or less of the original vasectomy, dropping to 53% for reversals 3–8 years out from the vasectomy, 44% for reversals 9–14 years out from the vasectomy, and 30% for reversals 15 or more years after the vasectomy.

Which you have no interest in acknowledging… instead you’re wringing your hands over men who are stepping up to help the women they love.

Okay. So. who cares. Women are going to fucking die. But the real problem here is that some men might not be able to impregnant women? REALLY?

6 Likes

So, in other words, the reversal of Roe v. Wade is bad for men too. Who would have thought. /s

7 Likes

And it isn’t REALLY the point we should be focused on, either. Given that women will DIE. Pregnancy is always dangerous. Even in the absolute best of circumstances. And American women are NOT giving birth in the best of circumstances, especially women of color and working class women across racial lines. We have some of the worst outcomes in the world regarding pregnancy in the developed world.

We really don’t need to make every little thing about MEN to get men who aren’t so far up their fucking assholes to give a shit. WE should all care that women are going to DIE because of this ruling. If we make this about men, that is not going to fix the problem that women are losing their bodily autonomy in America.

14 Likes

You are the one who started quoting Wikipedia to disprove a point I wasn’t even arguing.

It is completely beyond me to understand how you arrive at that conclusion from what I was saying. It’s like we’re speaking different languages.

You are not listening in any of them.

7 Likes

It’s still a reversible procedure, while tubals are not.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

8 Likes

Did you ever think that maybe there are relationships where they haven’t decided yet whether or not they want to have children, and wanted to leave the possibility open? Imagine a hypothetical couple who are still deciding if they’re right for each other, while having sex using fairly reliable birth control. They’re not eager to get an abortion, but the option is there if an unwanted pregnancy still results, without them having to rush a permanent decision about whether they ever want kids. Then suddenly abortion is no longer an option- they have to decide NOW. Do you think the man is an asshole just because he chose not to have children at that point? Is the woman also an asshole because she agreed, and because she also wanted to leave the option open before abortions were banned?

This is just the first possibility that springs to mind, I’m sure there are dozens of other reasons why getting a vasectomy at this point in time doesn’t necessarily make someone a bad person. Just assuming that everyone doing it now is an asshole is a massive leap to take.

6 Likes

Exactly!
Imagine a couple getting together, the one who can get pregnant says, “I don’t want kids,” straightaway, to get rid of any ambiguity of what the relationship will include if it becomes long-term.
There’s a lot of time there between getting together and deciding that’s your life partner. If things go awry, the guy might want to have options to suit whatever future partner he ends up with. In the meantime, birth control fails. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Men getting vasectomies in the face of this decision aren’t assholes. They’re reevaluating their stances based on a drastically altered judicial landscape and thinking of the consequences of unintended pregnancies, including ectopic pregnancies.

7 Likes

Even Sigur Ros have woken up and smelled the coffee.

1 Like