Mesmerizing footage of Yucatan cave diving

[Read the post]

Some of those used to be above water. Think about that.

And get used to it, because the water level is rising e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. soon…

Even
Very
Extreme
Revisionists
Yowl
When
Heat
Everywhere
Rises
Eventually…

5 Likes

Fantastic share BB. I really enjoyed that.

2 Likes

I love SCUBA diving and have done some interesting wreck dives and whatnot and I’ve flown little planes and done my share of mountain climbing – but this sort of cave diving absolutely scares the piss out of me. It’s beautiful and I wish I had the guts to do it, but nope-nope-nope

4 Likes

Not only was that beautiful, it was instructive.

I’m an open water diver who is scared witless about learning some of the more enclosed skills (like wreckage, caves, etc.). What that video showed me was a very responsible setup, including a guide line, and actually made me realize that there are enclosed environments that could work for me.

Funny that coming eye-to-eye with sharks, etc. doesn’t phase me, but the thought of getting turned around in a cave and not being able to find the way out does.

10 Likes

We were typing at the same time! Yup, funny what triggers the nope-nope-nope in each person.

3 Likes

I think of it terms of failure modes. A shark bite has a lot of failure modes. Lots of them don’t involve dying. Cave diving doesn’t have very many.

3 Likes

Interesting theory! Yeah, I think that’s it: there are so many possibilities with living creatures, and it helps to know something about their behaviors (so as to know what to do or not do in a given situation) but with an inanimate object there’s nothing to work with. Some knowledge of currents or sediment, etc. could help possibly, but basically if you’re stuck you’re stuck.

2 Likes

I did some diving in Yucatan caves around 30 years ago, before cave training and certification (a very good thing) became quite as prevalent as it is now, and it’s still standout experience in my memory. Many caves there are very “easy” environments- for caves- with incredibly clear water, shallow depths, and relatively less risk of silt disruption destroying visibility if someone screws up. And because these caves were previously above water, you get all the formations. It’s an incredibly evocative and beautiful environment, well captured in this video.

2 Likes

I kept wondering what the fish were thinking was going on. They seemed curious.

Cave diving seems like the sort of thing that would cause me an anxiety attack but it was still lovely to watch.

2 Likes

To me, cave and wreck diving are wonderful experiences. There is nothing to compare with doing a first entry into a place frozen in time. So much of the world is trampled and looted and eroded, it has become necessary to go deeper or higher to find unspoiled places. I also did some surveys of wartime Japanese tunnel complexes (mostly dry ones) in the Mariana Islands, and it was thoroughly haunting. But also much more closed in and hot than I had expected. But even those required us to go to almost insane lengths to gain entry, like having to descend 300 feet down a cliff (but still 200 feet up) in order to open up and enter a hidden firing port. The normal entrances had often been sealed during combat, then forgotten, as well as the occupants inside. But like cave and enclosed wreck diving, there is a risk/reward equation that each person has to consider for themselves.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I admire you for doing it and wish I had it in me. But I just couldn’t ever make myself.

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. I got to visit part of that cave system a few years back, and deeply wished I could dive in them. Thanks to this video myself and friends are looking into SCUBA certification to try it someday.

2 Likes

It scares the piss out of me, too. Something about being stuck underground/underwater without a way to back up or find my way out is an unbearable primal fear that makes me break out in a sweat just typing this.

1 Like

I just love Scuba, and have done a couple of wreck dives (with instructors). Not ever going into a cave underwater, never never never.

Honestly the thing about diving is that I could spend a full talk of air staring at a 1 square meter patch of rock and not yet see everything. There is so much life under the sea, and so much that is as haunting and beautiful as this video - without the dramatically higher risk of death due to equipment failure.

Vancouver Island has a ‘scene’ of cave diving that terrifies me. Tight, pitch black caves where divers are pushing their gear ahead of them while they wriggle through narrow spots. Oh hell no.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.