Meta, company formerly known as Facebook, lost 24% of its value today, and is down 73% from last year's high

There are exactly no circumstances where I want to lick Zuckerberg, or really even wanted to think about it, thank you. :frowning:

9 Likes

Thx for the observation.

4 Likes

The Carthaginians were moral monsters who practiced child sacrifice. The Romans were bad, but destroying Carthage was right.

Yeah, whatever. Romans practiced both infanticide and human sacrifice – they don’t like to call it that, but that’s for instance what the games grew out of – so I don’t think they have much high ground there. I don’t think they did either; the idea that they opposed Carthage because of child sacrifice is purely a retcon, and at the time they barely considered it worth mentioning.

But even if they had, breaking treaties and murdering and enslaving everyone would not be a justified way to stop it. This is the same “oh, but how could good Christians not oppose sacrificers like the Aztecs” way to paint horrible cruelty as progress. I see that excuse for genocide and reject it.

19 Likes

You’re right. I was being an edgelord; sorry.

5 Likes

Move fast, break Facebook.

13 Likes

I have an old friend who somehow got deeply enamored with the Zuckerverse and is a vocal evangelist of this glorious new future to anyone who will listen. He just bought the new headset that he totally can’t afford and posted a 15 minute long unboxing video. Whatever brings him joy, I guess, but I totally don’t get the appeal.

So there are some people out there that love what Zuckerberg is offering. Just nowhere near enough of them.

4 Likes

Finally. Keep going. All the way. Ram that company into the ground and start burrowing.

10 Likes

I mean, Apple seems to be doing precisely that, for better or worse

4 Likes

The hardware is legitimately great. When used with other company’s software, VR can be a fantastic experience. With Meta’s own software, though? Pass.

5 Likes

Close – 1983.
MV5BMTIyMjEwNTg3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTU2MDI5.V1

9 Likes

When Facebook finally shuts off, I’m looking forward to the great data recovery of all the world’s content that’s lost in there due to their closed ecosystem that won’t allow search.

The amount of culture history content lost there in those private groups is such a sin against the entire idea of the web. Looking forward to blogs coming back, though I doubt that’s really possible. Zuckerberg killed a huge chunk of how people contributed to the web.

13 Likes

Don’t mention it.

21 Likes

Legit love that movie.

2 Likes

Maybe Zuck made an NFT of Facebook when the shares were at their peak, and he’s destroying the company to enhance the value of the NFT.

Or something

7 Likes

Is your wife’s name Lucy-fer?.

2 Likes

John Carmack made a console, and it’s called the Quest.
It really is a lovely little piece of engineering, and the fact that its being worn as a broach by the festering turd that is Facebook causes me great sadness.

5 Likes

Never liked facebook. I’m sticking with myspace.

(no, not really)

5 Likes

Jesus saves while Satan spreads the wealth.

5 Likes

Facebook the NFT?

3 Likes