Facebook changes company name to Meta

Originally published at: Facebook changes company name to Meta | Boing Boing

6 Likes

VR has been so exciting in spite of what facebook is doing.

I really don’t want to see a future where facebook effectively monopolizes VR to the point where you’ll need a facebook account to sign into your own fucking worlds.

31 Likes

Good luck trademarking a generic term, Zuck!

26 Likes

I can just hear most of my relatives – “Meta? What the hell does that even mean?”

And so the downward slide of this shitty mega-monopoly continues.

23 Likes

I like it. It really reflects the reality of the metastasized cancer that is Facebook.

40 Likes

Really CNN, “because he love classics?” if anything this Zuck acknowledging that the business is really about metadata harvesting. But also CNN’s editors missed the fact that literally everyone uses the word/prefix “meta?” I guess you can’t miss an opportunity to kiss trillionaire ass with weird hagiographic phrasings, even if it makes you look like an idiot.

21 Likes

Facebook: ‘We don’t want to own the metaverse’
Also Facebook: We have globally trademarked and now own the word ‘Meta’.

19 Likes

I never Meta Facebook I didn’t loathe.

56 Likes

I was just listening to a Pod Save the World podcast this morning and the hosts were making a really depressing point: In countries like Myanmar (where Facebook had zero employees that spoke the local language) the platform was used to facilitate all kinds of racist, violent conduct with devastating consequences to the minority populations. The question was why does Facebook even maintain a presence there. It’s not a major profit center for them. And the answer, based on insiders, is that they want to preemptively prevent any other alternative platforms from gaining popularity there or anywhere else. Having and maintaining a monopoly is hugely important to their business plan, and they’re willing to let their platform facilitate atrocities if that’s what it takes.

35 Likes

Meta-monopoly? (Beyond monopoly.)

8 Likes

OMG can marketing people please stop using “DNA” to mean corporate culture

It’s not even a good metaphor

36 Likes

“Facebook is one of the most used products in the history of the world…”

I think that award goes to toilet paper which is not dissimilar to Facebook.

35 Likes

So iconic we need to change the branding to less reflect how we foment extremism, violent insurrections and just outright genocide around the world.

13 Likes

Zuck’s game sucks.

14 Likes

Microsoft tried to trademark the word “go”

14 Likes

so what happens when everyone blinks once or twice and says, “yeah, no.” and just goes on calling it facebook no matter what they want?

13 Likes

Google has technically been been Alphabet since 2015… so about like that I suppose.

34 Likes

19 Likes

in our DNA, we are a company that builds technology to connect people

No, in your DNA you are a company that builds technology to rate the attractiveness of random women whose pictures you gained access to. You started off creeps, and you’ve spent 15 years becoming ever more creepy and ruinous to society.

Also, your VR shit is going to be the 2020’s version of Microsoft Bob. You can take that to the bank.

29 Likes

Don’t you mean a Meta phor?

6 Likes