Meta fired all the support staff and now influencers have no-one to turn to

Originally published at: Meta fired all the support staff and now influencers have no-one to turn to | Boing Boing

6 Likes

How strange to see Social Media ripping itself to bits. Maybe Meta intends to replace Support with Bing Ask?

10 Likes

I would think the influencers would appreciate no more people at facebook giving them mange.

This post will only be funny until @beschizza fixes his typo.

13 Likes

As much as I dislike Creepy Android Man and his social media sewer, if this hastens the death of the plague of “influencers” can we really say that’s a bad thing?

6 Likes

Never buy anything there.

9 Likes

It’s like Zuckerberg took a look at what Musk is doing to alienate celebrities and influencers on Twitter and said “I can do worse”. These two short-sighted nickel-and-diming fools don’t realise that – for better or worse – their ad-supported platforms are nothing without high-profile users providing content. If they’re not going to give them the special support they need against scammers they’ll eventually leave.

12 Likes

surely the “no one to turn to” will end up being some crap capitalistic tweaked 'A.I.'chatgpt-bot? (“Metamor shall rule all with an iron fist those who need ‘support’! How may I influence you today?”)

6 Likes

This feels less like the “enshitification” we’ve come to expect from social media, and more like the collapse of Facebook entirely. Like they’re turning the lights off on their way out…

Except trafficked antiquities, drugs and weapons? (I expect we’ll see even more of that, if they’ve entirely given up the pretense of moderation…)

But go where, I wonder? It seems like there aren’t practical alternatives to Facebook/Instagram/whatever their other services are (and Twitter). There are a number of struggling social media sites that I know of, or not-so-struggling (like Mastodon), but to be functional alternatives to support influencers, you need a critical mass of users. So while the established social media companies are no longer fit for (influencer) purpose, it doesn’t seem like they have anywhere else to go. Yet.

8 Likes

Who needs friends when you can have an embedded AI to channel your insecurity to the highest bidding consumerism?

5 Likes
4 Likes

At this point I wonder what exactly is going through Zuckerberg’s mind, although his (to me, always) disquieting deer-caught-in-the-headlights gaze is close to answering my question.

5 Likes

<whisper>36 billion dollars</whisper>

Fixed that for you.

7 Likes

I wish that were possible. With the death of craigslist, this is the only place I can go for things like used power tools, bikes, camping gear, etc. There is no alternative that’s not even worse (at least not in my area).

2 Likes

“Are you recasting your very sense of personal identity in the terms that marketers use to hock commodities? Well, you should be, because this is the only form of existence that matters in the all-encompassing capitalist dystopia we now live in.” :nauseated_face:

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.