Mexico to legalize marijuana

Originally published at: Mexico to legalize marijuana | Boing Boing

13 Likes

fiesta! ahora!

9 Likes

12 Likes

Mi Amigas & Amigas, mucho gusto!

16 Likes

So really, when is descheduling happening in the USA? I remember in the latter days of the Biden-Harris campaign getting emails, I believe from them (it might have been a PAC but I don’t think so) essentially promising that they would deschedule marijuana if elected.

Does anybody know if descheduling requires passage of a bill through the House and Senate? Or can it be handled more unilaterally by the Executive branch?

17 Likes

It won’t have a significant impact on Mexico’s drug wars, experts say, because the cartels don’t grow or sell much weed anyway.

So what are they growing, cocaine?

What happens when you legalize that?

Nobody is killing and dying over alcohol any more.

8 Likes

Can they? I assume you mean the US, but how would Mexican farmers be allowed to sell to the US if there is still a de facto federal ban? I also assume that many states have limitations on product grown outside of the state as it can’t be as easily tax regulated.

5 Likes

that’s because interstate commerce is a federal thing, and marijuana is still illegal at the federal level.

you currently only get cbd, cbd cigarettes, etc stuff being sold across state lines

3 Likes

7 Likes

nervous weed GIF

10 Likes

I mean, it is isn’t all about the US. Mexicans smoke weed too. Could be a boon as a cash crop for some. Future laws may allow for international export if they don’t already, such as to Europe.

5 Likes

It also has to do with maintaining control and increasing revenue. Many states certify the growers themselves and require a chain of custody to the vendor. CBD is unregulated at the Federal level and sales exist in a legal grey area. Point is, even if this were allowed at the Federal level, which it isn’t, that doesn’t imply legal interstate or international distribution.

No, but this

seems to be directly referencing the US unless there’s some other larger market I’m unaware of. I don’t think Mexico with its 127mm people is probably what is being referred to.

3 Likes

I know for a fact Tijuana has many users. I think a positive outcome would be a crop competing with SoCal for business. For sure it would impact many dispensaries near the border who have many consumers coming from Mexico.

4 Likes

lol, same. Many, many high school Friday nights down there.

3 Likes

Legal in Mexico, Canada and bits of the US … I expect it will fall under NAFTA pretty soon … expect it by the truckload

4 Likes

Maybe it will help get rid of Mexican growers lurking dangerously inside US Park lands.

I ran across some booby traps surrounding a patch in the Appalachia’s once.

3 Likes

We (Canada) can help kickstart their market… we’ve got something like 1M kg sitting in warehouses, ready to go. I’m doing my best to reduce that inventory, but I can only do so much!

7 Likes

Well yes I expect that the Canadian weed mountain to eventually need to be disposed of (unless of course the same people who dealt to the Canadian Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve sneak in …)

4 Likes

Mmm but it says “…and can legally supply what will be the world’s largest marijuana market.”

I think the point of that statement was Mexico is the largest COUNTRY (hence market) with legalized marijuana. (Or will be once it goes into effect.)

Considering the US hasn’t legalized Marijuana, it’s market as a country is technically zero. Individual states might have it legal, but each of those are its own walled gardens, so to speak. None of them come close to the population of Mexico. Not sure if you added up the total population of all legalized states, but they aren’t relaly one market. Each state is its own market.

4 Likes

Opium, which means heroin and derivatives like oxy

1 Like